Chimney system installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I am pushing forward with my house building project. The stove of choice will be the Princess Ultra. My GC does not like the work quality of the local pipe installer. We decided that our guys will do the install and we will have it inspected by the shady pipe installer.

The ceiling where the stove is going is about 9' high. I want to run about 4.5" of double wall black pipe off the stove, then one 45* elbow, then some more pipe, then another 45* elbow, a bit more pipe. Into a horizontal thimble (the wall there is about 10" feet thick). I am not sure how far I need to be with the double wall pipe from the ceiling to be within code.

Once through the wall, I want to install a class A excel pipe. Starting with a "T" cleanout. Then about 15' up to a 30* elbow to clear a window view obstruction, then another 30* elbow to straighten out he pipe. Then about another 7' up.

The siding is wood, how mamy inches from the siding does the excel pipe need to be?
The roof is flat, how many feet from the roof top does the pipe need to extend? There are no obstacles within 50' of that area.

Thanks in advance.

If the roof is flat and not other structures within 10’ then it only needs to be 3’ above the roof line. 2” from combustibles. The double wall stove pipe needs 6” on vertical surfaces, often requires 9” to horizontal surfaces.

If the roof is flat and not other structures within 10’ then it only needs to be 3’ above the roof line. 2” from combustibles. The double wall stove pipe needs 6” on vertical surfaces, often requires 9” to horizontal surfaces.
Thank you Webby

IMG_7728.JPG
Am I missing something here?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, the Princess Ultra comes with the ashpan and the side shields as per the dealer. Can someone confirm.

Thanks

Tee and cap are part of wall support kit apparently

OK, I was thinking Excel, but DSP is Selkirk. the part #s threw me off. This kit?
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 4.13.10 PM.png

I wanted to go with Excel (that is what I have on my home set up) but this system was 1/2 price of the Excel.

Don't put the T to high up, you want to be able to take the bottom cap off (outside of house) and send a cleaning brush strait up.

Don't put the T to high up, you want to be able to take the bottom cap off (outside of house) and send a cleaning brush strait up.

Good point.

I am trying to envision how to clean the inside pipe (in the house section). I don't think I can access it via the Princess. From the tee side?

Good point.

I am trying to envision how to clean the inside pipe (in the house section). I don't think I can access it via the Princess. From the tee side?
That’s going to be tough since you will 1st have to make a 90deg turn at the bottom of the T to access the black pipe, either way your going to have to pull the black pipe off to clean the stuff that accumulates in the cat chamber of the stove, a sliding piece of double coming off flue collar is your friend here

That’s going to be tough since you will 1st have to make a 90deg turn at the bottom of the T to access the black pipe, either way your going to have to pull the black pipe off to clean the stuff that accumulates in the cat chamber of the stove, a sliding piece of double coming off flue collar is your friend here

Yeah. I had a feeling that would be the case.
As you said, either way I have to pull the telescopic pipe section up in order to clean around the cat chamber.

No possibility of going straight up through the house?

A sooteater will go through the Tee and all the way to the stove. Then you just slip the pipe up to vacuum up the debris. Or you can spin it up through the bypass. Either way

Apparently, the Princess Ultra comes with the ashpan and the side shields as per the dealer. Can someone confirm.

Thanks
The side shields are included with the Ultra.