Chimney temperature and thermometer placement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joetal17

Jan 28, 2009
CT
Just finished with my stove install and have been burning a few hours a days for the past three days.

My setup is an Avalon Pendleton free standing stove to Durablack double wall through the wall installation to Excell chimney.

Today I think I was a little overzealous and overfired my stove. It was really loud and my stove pipe on the exterior of my home with outside temperatures in the 20s was really hot to touch. Should Class A ever be more than lukewarm to touch?

I think a thermometer would help me with my burns but I was unsure as to best placement on the Avalon stove with double wall pipe?

There isn't a great place to put a thermometer on the stove top. You could try on the visor lip over the door. For double-wall pipe you'll need a probe thermometer like this:
http://www.condar.com/probe_meters.html

Thanks BeGreen, does it sound like I was running too hot from the surface temp of my chimney?

What's the ideal flue temperature for my setup? It seems the consensus differs from browsing through the posts, thanks.

Yep......that's the one!! I put one of those (Manufacturers recommendation is 18" off the stove top, up the pipe) on MY Avalon Rainier setup. Tend to watch IT, more than the one ON the stove. (Not to say that the stove Thermometer isn't important, but I gauge the fire in the firebox by what I see, more than what the Stove Top Thermometer SAYS).

1/8" drill hole thru both walls of the double wall flue pipe (mine is like that; Class 6), and then a 1/4" hole thru the face pipe only.

Try to keep your temps out of the "Red" zone on the flue pipe Thermometer. Someone told me in here, that the Class 6 pipe is rated up to 900ºF, which is the START of the "Red" zone.

-Soupy1957

Soup, where do you put the stove thermometer on the Rainier?

On the stove? I put it on the center of the flange, that overhangs the face of the stove. I tried it on the TOP of the stove, but got some advice in here and from my local Dealer/Service place that said that I'd get a better (more accurate) reading of the temps within the firebox, if it put it where it is.

It's valuable info, but the Rainier is VERY capable of handling HOT fires, so I don't worry much about what it says (not saying it's not valid data).

On the other hand, I also have an IR Laser temp reader, if I'm really curious about the variables from top/side/front.

-Soupy1957

Thanks for the advice, this is such a helpful site. I got your PM, I might take you up on that offer, who did your install?

Dean's Stove & Spa, in Southington. Did a nice job! Fair price.

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.