1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chimney through wall question concerning offsets

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Mark Richards, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Mark Richards

Mark Richards New Member

Loc:
    Southwest Minnesota
    Where my chimney exits the exterior wall there is an overhanging smaller roof that I need to go around before I can run the chimney up to the soffit and through the roof.I plan on using a 15 degree bend at the chimney support with a 3 foot section of pipe and then another 15 degree bend to straighten it back up. My question is I have read that you can have no more than two 90 degree bends in your chimney from stove to cap. Does this mean I cant have more than 180 degrees of total bend in the chimney system or does it just mean you cant have three 90 degree bends.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    A pair of 15 deg offsets should be ok. Are the 90s on the connector and then at the tee? If so that is pretty common. More important will be the total height from stove top to chimney cap of the flue system.
    DexterDay likes this.
  3. Mark Richards

Mark Richards New Member

Loc:
    Southwest Minnesota
    Yep, there will be a 90 degree bend in the stovepipe to the class A chimney. Then the T section then the 15 degree bends. Total height of system will be approx 22'. Does this sound OK?
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, that sounds like it should work ok. Not perfect, but also not untypical. If you want to improve it a bit, use two 45s on the interior with a short connector to soften the interior 90. Be sure to brace the exterior piping well.