Chirping noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edrnm

Aug 11, 2013
richmond ky
Hope someone can help I have a US Stove Ashley 5500Xl in use since 2009 as the primary heat source for a log cabin. This past heating season in Nov 2012 it began to make chirping noises after running for some time so I purchased a new distribution motor from US Stoves. That did well till Jan 2013 when it began to chirp again after running for awhile. It even caused the stove to shut down overnight!

I checked both motors directly to 115V and both run perfectly! I even hooked up the old dist motor to 115v and it ran fine never chirped at all. US Stoves tech said may be circuit board since both motors run fine on 115v but had no way to test. Anyone have any idea how to test for this type of problem? I'd like to get ahead of this before the heating season comes around again.

IMO, if the motors run fine on 120v, the chirping should have nothing to do w/ the motors.......sounds like a mecahnical issue....something hitting or rubbing against something. Have you made sure the motor/blower doesn't move slightly after long runs?

Hope someone can help I have a US Stove Ashley 5500Xl in use since 2009 as the primary heat source for a log cabin. This past heating season in Nov 2012 it began to make chirping noises after running for some time so I purchased a new distribution motor from US Stoves. That did well till Jan 2013 when it began to chirp again after running for awhile. It even caused the stove to shut down overnight!

I checked both motors directly to 115V and both run perfectly! I even hooked up the old dist motor to 115v and it ran fine never chirped at all. US Stoves tech said may be circuit board since both motors run fine on 115v but had no way to test. Anyone have any idea how to test for this type of problem? I'd like to get ahead of this before the heating season comes around again.
The bearing could be bad on the exaust fan shaft or the room air fan shaft. My Enviro made a chirping noise when the bearing went. The heat from the exaust will cook the bearing eventually and the room air bearing won't last forever either.

Thanks for all the replies really appreciate the help. Actually, the chirping does sound more like whicherer motor isn't getting enough power. It's like a bogging down brrrrrrrrrrrr chirp then back on then brrrrrrrrrrr chirp etc. Nothing was or is clogging or blocking the motors. It did not seem to be related to a high fan as it was not present when the either motor kicks in only after running for a few hours seems more like after 4-8hrs of operation. Have checked it and find nothing rubbing against anything and the motors shafts do not wiggle or wobble.

When the stove shut down did the high limit trigger the unit off? Not sure but probably this never seems to occur during waking hours of course.

Thanks for all the replies really appreciate the help. Actually, the chirping does sound more like whicherer motor isn't getting enough power. It's like a bogging down brrrrrrrrrrrr chirp then back on then brrrrrrrrrrr chirp etc. Nothing was or is clogging or blocking the motors. It did not seem to be related to a high fan as it was not present when the either motor kicks in only after running for a few hours seems more like after 4-8hrs of operation. Have checked it and find nothing rubbing against anything and the motors shafts do not wiggle or wobble.

When the stove shut down did the high limit trigger the unit off? Not sure but probably this never seems to occur during waking hours of course.
If the bearing is seizing up, the motor will bog down.

When you plug your motors directly how long did you let them run? You stated the chirp started after several hours. I had a similar experience with a motor two years ago and it was a funcky bearing.

When you plug your motors directly how long did you let them run? You stated the chirp started after several hours. I had a similar experience with a motor two years ago and it was a funcky bearing.

The first time back in January I let the distribution motor run about 20 mins since it was on full power I thought if it was going to chirp surely at full power it would do so. This past weekend I ran both exhaust and distribution motors each for 90 mins. Again at full power if they were going to get hot I'd think the bearings would do so on full power run that about of time. Really difficult knowing which to do since I replaced the distribution blower and it only fixed for a couple of mo's. At $177 for dist motor and $227 for exhaust and $380 for the control board just hate to throw money at the wrong part if you know what I mean.

Fortunately the convection motor I had has real roller bearings. More effort than the $8 each bearing. And if someone offers cheaper Chinese bearings run. Not worth our scrap cars they must make them from, or the fact they had no grease. Had to use because that what was available and temps were way below livable and tool the chance and I lost in their use.(twice replaced in 2 months then found Japanese and have been good for over two years)
Did you test the motors in place with the normal load?

Status
Not open for further replies.