Class A Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpma

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2014
W. Mass
What is the difference in Class A triple wall chimney vs. Class A double wall chimney other than the number of walls

Double wall has a layer of insulation. Triple wall has a layer of insulation AND a vacant space for air cooling. Also, triple wall has a larger footprint (i.e. Wider diameter for any given pipe).

Double wall is actually better pipe because the layer of insulation is thicker.

I hope this helps.
Matt

Reactions: bholler
Double wall has a layer of insulation. Triple wall has a layer of insulation AND a vacant space for air cooling. Also, triple wall has a larger footprint (i.e. Wider diameter for any given pipe).

I hope this helps.
Matt
Thank you very much!! I could not find this info anywhere online

You're welcome.

If any of my message doesn't make sense - let me know and I can explain in greater detail.

Matt

Is there any situation where triple wall would be preferred over double?

Cost.

I will add that sometimes fireplaces are tested using triple wall pipes only. And in that case they are the only option if you want to keep it to spec...

I will add that the triple wall insulated stuff is not bad chimney pipe. It is safe and preforms fine but double wall is smaller and keeps the internal temps up better. But if budjet is a big factor the insulated triple wall can work just fine. We will not do installs with it though.

I hope this helps.
Matt
Could I use this doubled walled pipe because it is insulated versus a ss chimney liner plus insulation?? My setup would be approximately 30' chimney with a drolet tundra attached to it..

The double-walled pipe is chimney pipe. You could use it if it would fit, but it would probably cost a lot more.

The double-walled pipe is chimney pipe. You could use it if it would fit, but it would probably cost a lot more.
I've gotten quotes of over $650.00 just for the liner itself.. Plus insulation probably could cost a couple hundred more... Anyone seen any better deals??

I've gotten quotes of over $650.00 just for the liner itself.. Plus insulation probably could cost a couple hundred more... Anyone seen any better deals??
That not high at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.