Class A ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
I need to extend my chimney about 2 ft. My white chase top is getting the brown streaks on the sides.
The pipe is ICC Excel.
I called 2 places, one nearby has 2 12" discounted because they were "lightly used" from a store demo. Burned a half dozen times she figured. Priced at half off ($91 total)could probably talk them down more. Otherwise the other store, new 24" is $144. Any reason not to use the 2 12"? Would it be any less sturdy? Another joint to cause an issue? Or is saving $50 worth it? Any input appreciated!!

Last edited:
I see no difference in using the two, 12" sections other than you loose about 1.5" in length because of the extra connection.
Are the brown streaks from creosote? Not sure the additional 2' are going to prevent that from continuing.

I see no difference in using the two, 12" sections other than you loose about 1.5" in length because of the extra connection.
Are the brown streaks from creosote? Not sure the additional 2' are going to prevent that from continuing.
Yes, but I think it is just from start up and reloads ( cat stove) and then the condensation from the middle of the burns is causing the residue to drip right onto the top. I'm hoping by getting it up higher it will have a chance to dry up/evaporate on the pipe instead?

A picture of the issue in question may help elucidate some responses. I personally am having trouble imagining ..."My white chase top is getting the brown streaks on the sides."

Regarding the sections vs single piece. IMHO I would try to minimize connections for a couple of reasons, mainly sturdiness also avoiding the connections where possibly creosote could build up.

A picture of the issue in question may help elucidate some responses. I personally am having trouble imagining ..."My white chase top is getting the brown streaks on the sides."

Regarding the sections vs single piece. IMHO I would try to minimize connections for a couple of reasons, mainly sturdiness also avoiding the connections where possibly creosote could build up.
I'll try to get a photo tomorrow. Its similar to the drips that are commonly found running down the exterior of the pipe when it is cold and icicles form.

The higher your chimney is the further from the heat source it is. Which means that extra 2 feet is just going to be cold and build up even more creosote from your burns. If you are seeing a lot of build up i would look more at your stove, habits and fuel.