1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Classic Sierra Stove

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by bob95065, Oct 20, 2013.

1. bob95065

bob95065 Member

Loc:
    Felton, CA
    This is the Sierra wood stove that is in the house we bought in August. I had trouble with it so I pulled it put nd fond put the PO shoved it in a fireplace and didn't put a liner in. You can read more here: http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/smokey-fire-need-help.114998/

Anyone have an idea of how old ths stove is? Anyone knw what model it is? Do you know where I can find parts or a manual? I want to remove the steel plate in the front with glass.

Is this a stove worth keeping? It seems like a solid built stove. I ave an EPA rated stove in the font of the house that is very efficient. I am worried this one ill go through a lot of wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    That is a Sierra Hearthstove Classic Turbo-Burn Model 2000T. Most probably made between 1979 and 1987 in Harrisburg, Virginia. You are right, it will eat a bunch of wood.
    RockyMtnHigh likes this.
  3. bob95065

bob95065 Member

Loc:
    Felton, CA
    Ever see one with glass in the front?

This stove is in a family room with a vaulted ceiling. Our house is long and narrow with this stove at one end and an Avalon Ranier I installed at the other. TheAvalon heats the main living area. We want to use this one to heat the family room when we use it. I isn't a big room so I don't think we would use too much wood because we wouldn't need to bun too long to get the room warm.

My plan is to put a chimney liner in and see how the Sierra works. I can always replace it with a modern stove later. I would need the liner no matter what.
  4. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    even if you add glass it will not stay clean. old stoves didn't have air washes to help keep it clean

you could call SPI for a manual and further info
    800-527-4790
    BrotherBart likes this.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The old Sierra manuals pretty much just consisted of clearance info, which is on a plate on the back of the stoves, and "put in some wood and light a fire". I had the T-4500 insert and the manual was useless.
  6. campcop70028

campcop70028 New Member

Loc:
    Mendocino coast, California
    I have the same stove with glass. I like it, it does well for us.
  7. bob95065

bob95065 Member

Loc:
    Felton, CA
    Does the glass stay clear?
  8. campcop70028

campcop70028 New Member

Loc:
    Mendocino coast, California
    Yes, for the most part. after repeated use it will need to be cleaned. I would think that is normal after several uses though.
  9. Mialt

Mialt New Member

Loc:
    When I burn high-quality wood in mine, the glass stays clear enough to see the fire, but not clear like window-glass. If I burn lower quality species, or keep the fire choked back for a day, the glass turns black, but will "clear" again with a good hot, cured oak fire. I figure it is a gauge to how healthy my chimney is on a given day. I went through two cords of wood keeping a 2000sf 1790's farm house above 55 all winter in 2013-14 - a really cold winter!
  10. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    Here's the air wash intakes in window frame with glass door;

Sierra Glass Door.jpg

1977 Farm Show Magazine article;
    "It represents a brand new way of making a wood stove," says Jim Cook, president of Self-Sufficiency Products, a Minneapolis-based firm which has introduced the new Sierra stove.......
    http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=1092
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014