Clean Cap Means?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterpa64

Jan 24, 2010
Pa
So with 2 ft of snow on the roof doesn't look like I'll be up there anytime soon. With then ew stove I like to keep an eye on things. I been using binoculars to look at the cap, whick looks clean. Can one figure if the cap is clean the flue is also?

Not really. Could be everything deposited lower down and there's nothing left for the cap. If you have a good hot flue, the cap will be the coldest surface to condense onto.

2 feet of snow is a lot of weight to leave up on the roof. I pull the snow down before it get that deep.

Ya, depending on the slope of your roof, that snow you got was heavy stuff so you might consider getting some off of it.

Most of the time the cap will get dirty first but there is still a chance of some crap in the flue. If you aren't having problems then I'd not worry until you can get up onto the roof, that is, if you have good wood. If the wood is marginal, then I'd be checking often.

We don't know anything about this chimney or the style of cap.

Right now, saying everything is clean based on the cap is like saying the oil is at the full mark in a car's engine based on the idiot light not being lit on the dash.

What style cap?

What kind of chimney?

Is it internally located in the house or externally located?

Additionally, you could worry about the following questions as well.

How much wood have you burnt since it was last cleaned?

What kind of wood?

When was the wood cut and split?

Where was it stacked?

Point is, none of these questions matter if you just take a look :)

Can you look up a cleanout door using a mirror?

Can you let the stove go out, pull the pipe out of the thimble or off the stove and look up?

pen

Got a 4/12 slope on the roof.

The chimney is a 316 6", internal, wrapped with a blanket and inside a masonary, straight shot 15 ft. The draft is good, no smoke in the room and starts easily.

It's a new set up so I'm trying to watch it. I know the wood isn't the best, my moisture meter is in route from Harbor Freight.

I pull the baffles out of the top of the 1402 and look up the flue. Can't see very far because of the air tube but what I can see looks clean. It had a liitle build up on the cap after a few weeks so I been giving it more air. I cleaned the cap and the flue, not much came out of the flue. It was black fine powder, very small amount.

The wood is unfortunately outside and tarped, which after reading this site will most likely change. I try and bring in a weeks worth at a time and store inside to get the weather out. I burned a few pieces before checking it last time that were hissing, I knew I needed to check.

Do you think I could see anough with a mirror from the bottom? I do get alittle build up in thecorners of the stove above the baffles which I try and clean.

Not looking for a short cut, but I'd like to keep a close eye on the new set up and figured if the cap is clean that's a good sign. I know from the past that the cap always seemed to have the worst build up on a strigt shot flue.

I'd say it's worth a try with a mirror if you don't feel comfortable getting on that roof right now.

How much wood have you burned since you last cleaned?

pen

I am able to check mine with mirror from the inside, I just have to take apart the flue pipes going into the wall in my basement. I stick a trouble light in the tee after I set the small mirror at an angle. That is how I found my glazing last year (in the old masonry chimney), now I have a insulated liner, a little tougher to get the mirror and light aligned, but doable.

Not much. I start it at 4 Pm when I get home and put my last wood in around 10 Pm. Only been alittle over a week since I checked it and did a test brushingto try out the new poly brush for sizing.

Just being cautious, maybe overly, but it is a new setup and I want to get a feel for it and thewood I bought before I totally get comfy with a schedule etc.

Ok, today...against my wife's wishes, up on the roof I went. The cap was clean and the flue just had a very thin black, dry coating. Everything looked cool.

I got to thinking, with 2 plus ft of snow, and needing the chimney to be 3 ft above the roof, might as well move some snow. So I cleaned off the crown and moved the snow away from the chimney. Actually it was safer up there today then when there is no snow. I couldn't have slid off if I tried.

At least now I know I'm good for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.