clean Wood Stove Car Wax

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the thing it was also cooler today so I did a tiny spot with the wax on the top lower part near the door all seems okay and I did not smell anything but wanted to ask?

However what concerns me now is fumes I used the original purple metal polish. It says it can be used for aluminum brass copper chrome silver stainless and it says that it removes most blueing from pipes and headers.

So, technically this is not true car wax will this be okay and will I get fumes off of this I did not smell any and no alarms went off but if so I might sleep in the camper tonight then and leave the windows open.

It does not mention anything about hot surfaces or fumes. It says keep away from open flame that is all.

Here is a link to the wax:
http://www.californiacustom.com/purple_metal_polish.html

"It does not mention anything about hot surfaces or fumes. It says keep away from open flame that is all".

That isn't enough? I wouldn't open your stove!

Reactions: molly1414
What are you trying to protect it from? I've never had one rust inside of my house. If it needs anything, it should be a fresh coat of Stove Bright paint. I'm just not sure what you are trying to accomplish?

Reactions: PapaDave
Exactly. My concern is that besides potentially setting yourself up for a massive fume-a-thon that you will make it very hard to repaint the stove when you want to because of the baked on and burnt wax coat.

Reactions: PapaDave
well the little circle that I did on top if I did not smell anything shouldn't I be fine? Also, It does look a little shinier.

I just want to make sure fume and health wise I will be fine for tonight.

Don't do this. Go polish the kitchen stove.

I already did the little spot early lats morning I figured I post on here before doing the whle thing.

Thanks for the advice I did not realize the difference between wax and the stuff for wood stoves.

Considering I did not smell anything I think that I will be fine. When the bottle says keep away form open flame I think it means it as a liquid but once I rub on then off I should be fine?

However, in the future if I go to paint over it will there be a problem since I put the wax on the stove top?

Reactions: Osage
How will the wax cause a problem for the new paint to stick on the stove? I did a circle on the lower part of the stove.

Last edited:
How can I tell if I will have a problem repainting the stove?

Personally I think using car wax on a woodstove is a terrible idea- I would think you would just end up with lots of smoke/fumes, a stove that looks terrible, and won't accept paint should it ever be needed. You have been given advice- Take it and do with it as you please.

Status
Not open for further replies.