clean Wood Stove Car Wax

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
Tomorrow it is getting warm to whgere the 30 will have a day off. I wanted to know if you can use car wax on the stove to help protect the paint?

I did not see any harm but was not sure?

I wouldn't! It's gonna burn right off and stink......I'm guessing?

I am going to let it dry during the day and then wipe it off just like your car. Even if it does smell a little that is fine by me. I am just trying to protect the paint and want to make sure I do not cause harm to it.

I just don't understand why? You can always touch up the paint, it isn't a car with primer and clear coat. I would think it would whiten with the extreme heat? Go for it and let us know how it works out, I really don't know what will happen.

I am going to wait for a few other inputs first but I figured it does not hurt to ask.

Take an old pan and wax the inside bottom of it. Then put it on a burner on the kitchen stove and see what happens.

Okay but instead of me ruining the pan can you tell me what happens.

The stove is nowhere near as smooth as the sheet metal on a car. I don't think you'll ever buff it all off. Don't know what that will look like. I'd leave the car wax in the garage. There is such a thing called Stove Polish...check it out.

https://www.google.com/#q=stove+polish

Reactions: PapaDave
Don't do this. You don't wax a woodstove. It will not protect the paint. Go out and wax the car instead.

Okay but what would it do as now I am curious between the difference of car and the wood stove wax.

Okay but what would it do as now I am curious between the difference of car and the wood stove wax.
It has to do with the heat..and lots of it.

Wax has volatile substances in it that will burn off and go through your home. Step away from your stove....
Go chop some firewood or something!:p

Stove polish is made of graphite and lampblack. There is no wax in it.

Stove polish is made for wood stoves. Car wax is made for cars.

Okay but what harm will it do is it the fumes that are a big no no. I find that hard to belive though as some cars get hot after waxing? Anyhow would it hurt to try a little part on top?

Also BrotherBart what about the pot you mentioned.

It's your stove. I have nothing more to say about it.

Okay but what harm will it do is it the fumes that are a big no no. I find that hard to belive though as some cars get hot after waxing? Anyhow would it hurt to try a little part on top?

Well maybe it would be interesting to build a fire under the car hood and see what happens to the car wax..just sayin.

You probably should have gotten an enameled stove.

I understand that the stove is significantly hotter than a car. But is fumes the issue in car wax? I am asking cause I thought I read somewhere to use car wax on a stove for your kitchen?

Most importantly would I smell the stuff of of the wood stove?

How many cars or kitchen stoves get to 700F? For that matter, would you wax the exhaust headers on a car?

Do it and let me know what happens after you wake up from smoke inhalation.

Wax protects the finish from sunshine and rain. A woodstove sees neither, its paint protects the finish against heat. They are entirely different animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.