Cleaning 25 PDVC Daily??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyb1970

Apr 22, 2014
New Jersey (Northern)
Quick question on daily cleaning on shutdown i usually clean the firebox before the unit shuts off them I restart the unit. Am I doing any harm to the board when I do this it usually takes me 15 minutes to clean it daily. Then on Sunday's I do a thero cleaning with no hot ambers and unit is completely off. Thanks

No need to shut down the unit. Just scoop the overflow from the burn pot to one side and you're done. Easy.

Agree. There is no need to shut down every day....

Just to clarify....does that mean people open the door while the fire is still burning and all the motors/fans are running and then you scoop the ash from the burnpot over to one side?

Only reason I ask is that I have an older PVDC that does not have an auto-igniter. I've been shutting it off, letting it burn out, and cool off. Then I scoop out the ash and re-lite when done. So, maybe I really don't need to do that any more...maybe...please???? :eek:

Just to clarify....
does that mean people open the door while the fire is still burning and all the motors/fans are running ???? :eek:

yup.
when you open the door, the combustion blower will turn off..
so it's just a real lazy flame..
I cut a cheap drywall taping knife down a tad narrower than the pot,
and get it in one sweep...
a matter of seconds that the door is opened...

Dan

turn it down to 1 about 10 minutes before you do this, it will be less hot and a smaller flames. then open the door, scoop out the ashes and done.
The combustion blower does not turn off when you open the door, however the flame does get smaller and become lazy because the combustion blower is only effective with the door shut. with it open, the air comes right through the door opening and not through the path under the pellets.

That being said, no need for shutdown to scoop the burn pot out. Be careful that nothing glowing flies out. only happened to be when the burn pot was really overflowing with ash and i didnt turn it down to 1 prior

Mine is the 2oo7 model with igniter. I talked to Englander on the phone and they told me to push off open door I use a metal dollar general soup spoon get the ash out but leave some flame and pellets close the door push start takes 2 minutes. Mine trips the vac switch and stays on shutdown if I just open door. I do thorough cleaning once a week.

Mine is a 2012 model I turned down blower speed to 1 and heat range to1
Wait 10 minutes until flame is low open door and scoop it out with 4inch spackle knife. Takes 30 seconds close door and turn up heat range and fan speed and your back up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.