Cleaning a Stainless Steel Insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizango1

Sep 6, 2008
Southern, MA
Hello, I got a quote to clean my chimney and it is much more than I want to pay. My chimney is not that tall and I can probably do the majority of it from the inside with a flexible brush. I have a few questions for those of you that clean the chimney’s yourself.

1. Do you slide the Rockland out and take off the flu or do you take out the burning rods and plates inside the Rockland and do it that way?

2. My stainless steel flu was banged into an oval shape when it was installed so it would fit into the existing flu. Will this make it difficult to clean with a round brush?

Thanks - John

Bizango1 said:
My chimney is not that tall and I can probably do the majority of it from the inside with a flexible brush.
If it's not that tall, why not do it top down from the outside. The oval liner could be a challenge from inside given the angle you need to bend the rods and the amount of force you might need to use. Maybe one of those whipper type cleaners with the thin rods that you spin with a drill might work from the inside but a tradition stiff brush with stiff rods I would do top down.

Thanks LLigetfa, Top down with the rods didn't work. I have a beehive chimney and the rods weren't bendable enough. I ended up pulling the brush down to the fire box with a rope and then pulling it back out through the top. It was fairly difficult because the steal flue was crimped into an oval. I'll probably shave the brush down a bit next year to make it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.