1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nrmahoney@cox.net

nrmahoney@cox.net Member

I have a 6" metalbestos chimney . Last year I cleaned it with 6" round wire rush. I have read that wire is not good for stainless.
    The box the brush came in says its OK. So this year i bought a poly brush, very thick bristles. I can hardly get it into the chimney.
    It seems so tight I am afraid it will get stuck. Any comments on this?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Push it up there, it will come back out.
    I had a hell of a time getting my brush all the way up the first time as well.
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    i think that crazy talk about wire being bad for chimmney's, but thats another thread. Babalu is right, just force it. If your worred, tie a rope on the loop and drop it down, that way if you get it stuck you can pull it from the bottem. I would expect it to be tight, that would have to be pretty good poly to scrub a metal chimney.
  4. nrmahoney@cox.net

nrmahoney@cox.net Member

I only weigh 175lbs. i jamed it up about 6ft and it took all my weight to get it back down. I think i am going to stick with the wire for now. Maybe i will rub the poly bristles on the sidewalk out in front of my house to wear them down a bit.
  5. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Get your chimney warm then send it down that'll melt the end of the poly bristles and give you a perfect fit. (J/K don't really do this you'll ruin your brush) Don't ask how I know. And also while I don't care to debate this, but our company has swept stainless liners/chimney for 20+ with a round wire mastersweep brush. No detrimental effect on the chimneys or liner.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.