Cleaning Chimney Liner with Quadra-Fire 4100i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc1973

Oct 14, 2016
MD
Hello, great site, finally joined today.

I have a Quadrafire 4100i insert and a full 6" SS liner setup. We have had issues with it, but it's performance is mediocre at best but has never been as good as my in-laws 5100i. I have not cleaned my liner since it was professionally installed 2 years ago. I can see creosote at the chimney cap and some on the ground from a wet cord of wood that was NOT seasoned as the seller said it was. I have been using my own seasoned split wood with better results.

I bought a poly 6" brush and rods. Does the insert need to be pulled out in order to clean the liner?

It shouldn't, but you should remove the baffle so you don't damage it with the end of your brush.

Thanks. I will have check and see how to access that. I just found the 4100i manual.

So just let the creosote fall into the insert with the baffle removed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Cleaning was super easy, the hardest part was prep and cleanup.

However, like most weekend projects something goes wrong. I snapped a bolt the hold the baffle to the wall of the firebox. Why did Quadrafire use non graded hardware??? For the $$$$ we spent, they should have used grade 8 for everything... :mad: So now i need to use a drill and bolt extractor, should be fun. <>

However, like most weekend projects something goes wrong. I snapped a bolt the hold the baffle to the wall of the firebox. Why did Quadrafire use non graded hardware??? For the $$$$ we spent, they should have used grade 8 for everything... :mad: So now i need to use a drill and bolt extractor, should be fun.
yeah we change out all of those bolts when ever we install one. We also offer to do it when we service them. We pull the bolts and then clean up the holes with a tap then replace with stainless hardware. Make sure you use high temp anti seize on them when you put them back in as well.

Reactions: Merc1973
yeah we change out all of those bolts when ever we install one. We also offer to do it when we service them. We pull the bolts and then clean up the holes with a tap then replace with stainless hardware. Make sure you use high temp anti seize on them when you put them back in as well.

Thank you. Any advice on removing it, considering its not a big bolt? I will find some SS bolts.

Thank you. Any advice on removing it, considering its not a big bolt? I will find some SS bolts.
We usually try a center punch and drill it out but if that does not work we just drill a new hole next ot the old one and put a new bolt in there

Reactions: Merc1973
Status
Not open for further replies.