Cleaning idea not so good...duh!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crausch

Aug 26, 2008
Littlestown, PA
Well, I cleaned my stove over the past weekend. I did the full cleaning in order to shut the stove off for the season. I used the idea of spraying the inside of the stove with PAM. I removed all removable parts and wire brushed them down, then sprayed with PAM and reinserted the parts. Everything was looking good any ready for the summer.

I went to wipe off some dust on the exterior of my stove with a rag that had some PAM on it when I noticed how nice it made the outside of the stove look. It almost made it look like I used "Armor All". I thought...what would it hurt to wipe the outside of the stove with PAM? It cleaned it up nice, it would prevent any external rust. So, I wiped down all the metal. Wow, the stove looked like new, plus the humidity will not create any rust spots. For two days I was proud every time I walked past the stove.

Then, after a couple days my wife calls to me...Hun I think we have a problem. I go down stairs to see what was wrong. Ants were everywhere. I must of had the entire colony all around my stove. That's when I discovered that cooking oil on the outside of the stove is not such a great idea. Duh!

Thats a good one- maybe send this to Family Handyman magazine. They have a "great goofs" section in the magazine and on web site that this would be good for. They may even pay a few bucks if its published. Guess you could have fried your eggs right on top- before the ants.

Guess you could have fried your eggs right on top- before the ants.

Yeah, the non-stick surface would be greate for that. The stove does not really get hot enough for that though. I am going to wipe it off with some mild cleaner or soap and water. It probably would smoke like crazy next season if I don't wipe it off. It sure looks good though -lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.