Cleaning My Hampton HI200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Supersurvey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2015
New Jersey
20171022_165943.jpg 20171022_162542.jpg 20171022_161052.jpg
Not sure what I am looking at towards the bottom of my liner. Looks to be delaminating. Any thoughts?

My install is a professional install (out of business) premium NJ price hack job. 13 feet with unfortunately no insulation. I got about one coffee can full of dry black stuff. Not the brown that some of you guys get. We burn about 2 cords per year. Any suggestions? Do I need to replace this liner this year? I was hoping to get another year or two before I replace myself with an ovalized insulated heavy-flex liner.

Any way to tell what type of liner I have?

Thanks All. Always learning from this group.

View attachment 201693 View attachment 201694 View attachment 201695
Not sure what I am looking at towards the bottom of my liner. Looks to be delaminating. Any thoughts?

My install is a professional install (out of business) premium NJ price hack job. 13 feet with unfortunately no insulation. I got about one coffee can full of dry black stuff. Not the brown that some of you guys get. We burn about 2 cords per year. Any suggestions? Do I need to replace this liner this year? I was hoping to get another year or two before I replace myself with an ovalized insulated heavy-flex liner.

Any way to tell what type of liner I have?

Thanks All. Always learning from this group.
Yes it is damaged but you don't need to replace it at this point. The bigger concern to me is you say that pick is looking top down? If so I am pretty sure your liner is upside down. The only way to be sure is go up there with a knife and slide it down the inside of the liner. If it goes under the plus it is upside down. If not it is right side up and you can get another few years or so out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bholler. I always value you expertise. Judging from what I got out do you think I'm burning ok? With this insert sometimes I feel I'm burning on the low temperature end. About 400-500 on the door mostly 3 year oak and maple.

I cleaned top down with a poly brush.

I'll check the liner this weekend and report back.

Thanks Bholler. I always value you expertise. Judging from what I got out do you think I'm burning ok? With this insert sometimes I feel I'm burning on the low temperature end. About 400-500 on the door mostly 3 year oak and maple.

Yes you are doing very good. It does look like there is a tiny bit of shiny stuff in there so there is room for improvement. But you did good.

Yes you are doing very good. It does look like there is a tiny bit of shiny stuff in there so there is room for improvement. But you did good.

Ok, its unfortunately confirmed. My professionally installed liner is upside down. (attached is a picture) The liner was installed December 2010. Its 13 feet long to the top of my insert, a Hampton HI200. We burn about 1 to 2 cords per year at the most. My long term plan was to install a 5.5 inch insulated heavy flex liner (myself) but I was hoping to get a few more years out of this.

Bholler, judging from my pictures and what I got out from the cleaning what are my options?
FYI, I did look at the 10 foot piece that was left over from the install and it has no marking which side is up or what brand liner it is.
I think the way its jammed in my 7x10 clay tile chimney removing and reinstalling is not an option.

What is the reason for those flaps to face down? Is it for creosote leakage?

Thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• 20171107_145143.jpg
    20171107_145143.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 129
Ok, its unfortunately confirmed. My professionally installed liner is upside down. (attached is a picture) The liner was installed December 2010. Its 13 feet long to the top of my insert, a Hampton HI200. We burn about 1 to 2 cords per year at the most. My long term plan was to install a 5.5 inch insulated heavy flex liner (myself) but I was hoping to get a few more years out of this.

Bholler, judging from my pictures and what I got out from the cleaning what are my options?
FYI, I did look at the 10 foot piece that was left over from the install and it has no marking which side is up or what brand liner it is.
I think the way its jammed in my 7x10 clay tile chimney removing and reinstalling is not an option.

What is the reason for those flaps to face down? Is it for creosote leakage?

Thoughts appreciated.
Well if they got it in there it will come out. And even without markings they should know how to install it correctly or they have no business installing liners. It also looks like they ovalizef the liner which is not allowed with this type of liner.

The reason they should point down is so creosote is not trapped in there with no way to clean it.

Well if they got it in there it will come out. And even without markings they should know how to install it correctly or they have no business installing liners. It also looks like they ovalizef the liner which is not allowed with this type of liner.

The reason they should point down is so creosote is not trapped in there with no way to clean it.

Yep they are out of business. It was ovalized with a 2x4 and sledge hammer. That was before I met this wonderful group.

Can I get a few more years out of it as is?

Will a 5.5" insulated heavy flex fit in my 7x10 clay or could I get it factory ovalized?

Yep they are out of business. It was ovalized with a 2x4 and sledge hammer. That was before I met this wonderful group.

Can I get a few more years out of it as is?

Will a 5.5" insulated heavy flex fit in my 7x10 clay or could I get it factory ovalized?
You might be able to but I wouldn't use it if it was me. And btw an insulated 5.5 won't fit either you will need oval

You might be able to but I wouldn't use it if it was me. And btw an insulated 5.5 won't fit either you will need oval

Ok thanks. Do I order a 5.5" ovalized or do I need larger to get the same area?
Do they make oval connectors to connect to the 6"outlet on my insert or is it heavy flex flexable enough to make the connection end round?

Thanks for all your help Bholler.

Ok thanks. Do I order a 5.5" ovalized or do I need larger to get the same area?
Do they make oval connectors to connect to the 6"outlet on my insert or is it heavy flex flexable enough to make the connection end round?

Thanks for all your help Bholler.
You would want a 6" equivalent oval which would be a 7" liner ovalizef.

And yes they do make oval to round adapters. Yes you can get it back to round but you need the right tools to do it. Doing it by hand would be hard

You would want a 6" equivalent oval which would be a 7" liner ovalizef.

And yes they do make oval to round adapters. Yes you can get it back to round but you need the right tools to do it. Doing it by hand would be hard

One last question since I am looking at my insert with some great secondary's. What is the immediate risk? A chimney fire?
Thanks for your help. I think I understand my issues.

One last question since I am looking at my insert with some great secondary's. What is the immediate risk? A chimney fire?
Thanks for your help. I think I understand my issues.
Liner failure a allowing flue gasses out of the liner which could deposit creosote there. And a fire outside the liner is a very bad thing.

Bholler, can you tell if my liner is the 2 ply least durable type?

Mid Year cleaning. About half of what I normally get after a full year. Need to keep a close eye on my professionally installed upside down in-insulated liner. Took advantage of a 55 F degree day.

Attachments

• 20180127_152139.jpg
    20180127_152139.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 82