Cleaning question...one month inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike821

Nov 3, 2010
Bridgewater NJ
Good day!

I am going to perform my one month inspection since I had my stove. My stove has been burning 24/7 since the installation. My wood is between 15-22% MC. Most of my wood is more like 20% measured with a Lows MC meter. Looking up at the stack cap I can see black like creasote or something like that. Is this normal to get on the top of the stack? Without further investigation (getting up on the roof) I don't know what I am dealing with.

OK...cleaning brush choices. I have been reading up and down this board for a clear answer as to what brush you should clean a 6" SS liner. I am still as confused as to the best brush. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what brush and place to purchase online? I would also need to possibly get the poles for the brushes...I have a set of fiberglass poles for my old 9-12 brush. They are the screw in sections 4'.

My concern is that I have two 90's at the end of my liner by my stove. The attached pic will give you a better idea. (sorry for the microsoft paint drawing) I have a Lopi 1750i and am able to move the fire brick to get to the bypass opening. Am I able to clean those 90's from the bottom? I don't think moving he stove is an option unless I have the installers come back and move the stove out and repair the pipe after cleaning. Do they make a brush to clean the 90's from the bottom?

I was thinking once I have cleaned the main ss stack before the 90's. I can take the shop vac and clean out the fallen creosote in the 90's...whatever did not fall down into the insert.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks again all for your help and suggestions. You all have been a BIG help.

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• sspipe.jpg
    sspipe.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 264
I've heard that SS liners should be cleaned with a poly brush, rather than metal wire. I'm guessing you'll have to remove the stove pipe to at least partly clean bottom up, but I'm no expert at sweeping - going to do my first sweep before next season. Cheers!

Mike821 said:
Good day!

I am going to perform my one month inspection since I had my stove. A good idea for every new wood burner . . . heck I checked my chimney every two weeks in the first month or two which was admittedly overkill. My stove has been burning 24/7 since the installation. My wood is between 15-22% MC. Most of my wood is more like 20% measured with a Lows MC meter. So far, so good. Looking up at the stack cap I can see black like creasote or something like that. Is this normal to get on the top of the stack? Yes . . . I suspect that unless you are burning very, very dry wood and burning hot nearly everyone will get a bit of creosote or more likely soot build up . . . soot isn't so bad as creosote. Creosote often looks like burned popcorn whereas soot looks like . . . well . . . . soot . . . black flour I guess would be a good description. Oftentimes even the best woodburner will get some soot and creosote at the top of the stack as this is often where temps are coolest and where the bad stuff in the smoke can condense and form creosote. The key is to know how much is too much . . . generally folks suggest cleaning the chimney when you get a 1/4 inch or so of creosote. Oh yeah, almost forgot . . . there is a bad creosote . . . well I mean it's all bad, but some creosote is worse than others -- shiny, black creosote that is hard and sticks to your chimney . . . that's bad, very bad. Without further investigation (getting up on the roof) I don't know what I am dealing with. And alas, that is the rub . . . sometimes one does need to make that journey northwards . . . if only you had checked with Santa . . . he could have checked the chimney for you and saved you the trip to the roof.

OK...cleaning brush choices. I have been reading up and down this board for a clear answer as to what brush you should clean a 6" SS liner. I am still as confused as to the best brush. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what brush and place to purchase online? There are several debates on steel vs. poly for liners . . . I believe the majority of folks suggest going with a snug fitting poly brush on liners . . . heck I use a poly brush on my Class A and it does a decent job. The general feeling is that a steel brush could in time remove some of the metal . . . some folks disagree . . . some folks think that makes sense . . . I guess I could go with the simple solution and say check with your liner manufacturer to see if they have a recommendation. In either case the key here is to get a proper fitting brush in the correct shape . . . as to where to buy . . . hardware stores, woodstove shops or on-line . . . I bought mine from www.northlineexpress.com and I will say I have been quite happy with the brush, rods, price and quick delivery. I would also need to possibly get the poles for the brushes...I have a set of fiberglass poles for my old 9-12 brush. They are the screw in sections 4'.

My concern is that I have two 90's at the end of my liner by my stove. The attached pic will give you a better idea. (sorry for the microsoft paint drawing) I have a Lopi 1750i and am able to move the fire brick to get to the bypass opening. Am I able to clean those 90's from the bottom? I don't think moving he stove is an option unless I have the installers come back and move the stove out and repair the pipe after cleaning. Do they make a brush to clean the 90's from the bottom?

I was thinking once I have cleaned the main ss stack before the 90's. I can take the shop vac and clean out the fallen creosote in the 90's...whatever did not fall down into the insert.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks again all for your help and suggestions. You all have been a BIG help.

Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.