Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CleanBurn

Jan 3, 2015
BC Canada
i was reading in another thread on here about deep cleaning. I have a Heartland 25pdv and was wondering how you clean all the path ways from behind the large baffle plate to the combustion motor.
Lin

Replacing burn pot gasket and combustion blower gasket as part of the annual cleaning go to the troubleshooting page and find the appropriate link:
http://www.heatredefined.com/support/troubleshooting-guide/pellet-stove-service-procedures

Get the gaskets before you start:)
Thanks for this. Yes I have done all of these but they do not say how to clean the passages not really accessible to the user. When you see how much buildup is behind the impingement plate I am think there could be more between here and the exaugst blower motor. Plus when you see how much buildup is on the motor blades at year end I can't help thinking there is a lot in these passages.
Lin

The leaf blower trick ... disconnect vacuum switches before!

For the tough areas, you will have to figure out tools to help you get those areas. It appears that there is an opening in the back fire box behind the impingement baffle. That should give you access the the pathway to the heat exchangers above and down to the combustion blower. I have a hose attached to my shop vac attachment that I use to access those kind of areas on my stove (drywall bag inside vac to catch fine particles). I also bought a cheap dryer lint brush from Menards to brush the interior side walls on my stove; some folks use a bottle brush depending on the stove. Under the heat exchangers, I have to use a thin putty knife to draw accumulated fly ash into the fire box.

Let us know what you figure out ... pics of your process might help others!

Status
Not open for further replies.