Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatCityIAFF

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2011
Western CT
Halfway through the season, only 1/2-3/4 of a cord burned, time to stat thinking cleaning. What are your guys opinions on a SootEater, or just a Poly brush? The liner is 6"x23ft SS. Access to the roof is easy, just a little giant ladder from the back deck, so top-down cleaning wouldn't be a problem.

I say go the route that you are more comfortable with. I think a trip up to the roof is in order once and while to double check the cap. But then again, cleaning from the bottom up sure seems nice and quick.

If going up top is no problem, that is still my preferred method. If it is a bit touchy, then bottom up will do. We use the poly brush and used to use steel until we put up the new SS chimney. Look around with search and you'll see many posts about the soot eater and most love them.

I don't know how easy your baffle comes apart, but with no by-pass, it would be much easier to clean from the top. From the top down, the soot is contained in the firebox, as long as the door is closed. I don't see any advantage to clean from the bottom unless the roof is difficult.

Can't always guarantee being able to get on my roof, so I have gone the sooteater route with poly brushes once or twice a year.

KodiakII said:
Can't always guarantee being able to get on my roof, so I have gone the sooteater route with poly brushes once or twice a year.

I do exactly the same routine here every September and January.
Works great and eliminates any concerns about flue deposit build-up, AKA creosote.

I access my chimney the same way you just described. Top down with a poly brush has worked well for me. I bought what I needed at the Lowes in the Hat City.

Status
Not open for further replies.