Cleanout "T" or 90 elbow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
NE PA
Since I did some concrete work near where my exhaust exits and it raised the ground level, I need to raise my exhaust. Should I use a "T" cleanout fitting or a 90 degree elbow? Right now it is straight through with no rise.

Personally, I would always put a T at the bottom of a vertical pipe. "Soot falls down hill" It also gives you one more access point for cleaning.

That's what I was thinking, just looking to reinforce my thoughts :)

I agree with the above, but something to consider is the overall ease of cleaning when using a vent brush. If you choose to use a T fitting, you're likely gonna find vent cleanings to be more difficult as the brush will get caught.

Another bit of advice, if you and up using a T, is to add a bit of anti-sieze to the mating surfaces of the clean-out cap. They have a tendency to get stuck.

I have no knowledge regarding any potential code issues, buy you may be required to have a T by the "man"

Status
Not open for further replies.