Clearance Question (Horizontal Installation)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gleblanc1783

Dec 12, 2013
NH
Hi all -

During our install a few weeks ago we talked to installer and they suggested that we need an insulated surface beneath the venting all the way to the wall. Our hearth pad that we purchased sits a few inches off of the wall because it's flush against part of a wall that was removed (can provide pictures). The pipe will exit the house nearly 5-6' off of the ground, does there really need to be a protected surface 5' beneath the vent pipe when the clearances to combustable materials is only 6" with double walled?

I'm sorry if I am poorly explaining my question here, but if we do not need a protected surface all the way to the wall, it'll save us some money from having to have someone come out to custom make an extension to the hearth pad.

We are having the inspector come out later this week to take a peek, but I just wanted to ask folks here on the forum as well.

Thanks!

Is this for the Accentra in you sig? Or for a wood stove?

If the question is for a pellet stove, I can move your thread over to that room. If it's for a wood stove, what are you working with?

Sorry, that was my stove at my previous house (which I'm selling). My wife and I are installing a wood stove at our new place.

I'll update my sig :)

The pipe will exit the house nearly 5-6' off of the ground, does there really need to be a protected surface 5' beneath the vent pipe when the clearances to combustable materials is only 6" with double walled?
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.