1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Clearances to Combustibles Theory

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by wkpoor, Dec 31, 2012.

1. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    Just another reason why being UL tested doesn't mean crap to me. A product having the label or tag is not a bad thing. It just doesn't garantee the product is truely safe IMO and certainly says nothing about quaility.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    wkpoor, being an inspector, I think you underestimate UL. But then there is nothing wrong with evaluating your product and situation and maybe going above and beyond what the testing lab specifies. I for one would have paid extra for a ceiling support box with MORE than the 2 inches clearance to combustibles required by the UL testing and label, but of course that is not available. I went above and beyond all requirements except that one......had no control over that. Well, looking back now, I could have framed the support box with metal studs but I didn't think of that at the time.
  3. northernontario

northernontario Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    My previous stove was set up the same, except I also had a damper on the stove pipe in the 45° section... I think pulling it from the pipe when I did this install improved my draft a bit.

I went in search of some real 45° elbows, none found in a 200km radius. My one 90° elbow, I'd love to redo in 2x45° sections to give it a larger bend radius. I'm still curious what has less draft restriction (and probably less air leakage), the adjustable 90° elbow, two adjustable 45° elbows, or the 90° corrugated fixed elbow.

But now I'm off-topic.
  4. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    But now I'm off-topic

As the OP I say carry on. I too have never seen a fixed 45. Having 2 or more adjustables seems bound to increase the leaks and or run a cooler pipe.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  6. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
  7. northernontario

northernontario Member

Loc:
    Ontario
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Your stovepipe should be under constant vacuum, so no concern with leaking smoke into house under normal operation. In case of chimney fire, I suppose there could be a draft reversal, but then you'll have bigger problems than your adjustable elbows. Only down side I can imagine, with respect to the leakage, is a little cool air getting into the flue... almost certainly too little to matter.
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    A UL tag does not imply quality, efficiency, or performance... but it does guarantee the prescribed level of safety.
  10. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    I would rather have a stove that is UL listed then one that is not listed.
    Joful likes this.