closer crearance double wall stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

murphsprin

Feb 8, 2012
Wisconsin
Hi I am getting ready to install my new blazeking princess classic, and when laying out the chimmney I have a section of double wall stove pipe that is about 4 in from a wood suport beam, My qestion is is their any way to lower the clearance of double wall, or can it build a heat sheild on the beam

The double-walled pipe I used last year was, if I remember, rated for 5" clearance. It might have been even less, can't recall. But, yes, you can build a heat shield to decrease clearances. Some folks have built doubled heat shields [air space between two sheets of metal] to be even more certain. I have a stove in one room that has a doubled heat shield. The stove really cranks. I can put a thermometer behind the shield and against the drywall and it is only slightly warm.

Note I am not an inspector and have zero knowledge of what code might say about any of this. Works great in my house, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.