Clydesdale flue liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lonef6r

Jun 25, 2010
Seattle
Howdy,
I have an existing 5" flue liner from my old Kent insert. It had been designed for a 6" flue but my dealer said to use a 5" flue for better draft. That was 18 yrs. ago. I am now going to install a Clydesdale. I'd like to reuse the old liner if possible. I have a 25' internal chimney, and live ontop of a hill. I have the adapter from the old stove. The fit will be tight so I'll have to use the internal flue collar. Will I have any problems with this install. Worst case I buy a new liner$$$$.

Personally I don't like undersizing any liner if it can be avoided. A 5 inch liner is pretty significant size difference. That's 30% less cross sectional area than a 6 inch liner which is a pretty big difference. Personally I would use the correct liner if at all possible. The stove will draft best with a 6 inch if that's what it was designed for. If you HAVE to undersize, I would use a 5.5 inch smooth wall flex liner. That would help to minimize the flow difference between the two sizes.

Hope this helps.

I ain't one of the pros, but why don't you install the insert and see how it works? If it doesn't, then spend the same money and do the same work. My big stove says to use a six inch liner but when you look inside the flue collar the danged hole in the top of the stove that the stuff has to go through first is only 5.5 inches in diameter.

BrotherBart said:
I ain't one of the pros, but why don't you install the insert and see how it works? If it doesn't, then spend the same money and do the same work. My big stove says to use a six inch liner but when you look inside the flue collar the danged hole in the top of the stove that the stuff has to go through first is only 5.5 inches in diameter.
I agree if the draft is right the draft is right no matter what size the hole is, too many people get hung up on numbers.

Exactly. No manufacturer will probably endorse using a downsized liner, but IF it was my house, I'd try it. I think the Clydesdale only has a 2.4 cubic foot firebox. If performance is lacking, get the 6" liner. The 6" liners are cheap, $350-$450ish (we retail em locally for $499 but will discount them a little if someone buys and insert). Plus, if your insert purchase qualifies for the 30% tax credit and you buy the liner by the end of this year, you saved 30% off the price of the liner. Unless that insert worked perfect on the 5", 2010 would be the time to do the reline.

Is this my buddy Karl?

Frank,
Yeah, it is Karl in Seattle. I found a local dealer that offered me the same price w no shipping on the Clydsdale. The question still remains; will the 5" liner be a bear to attach to the internal flue collar?
Thanks for everyones input. This is fast becoming my #1 forum.

lonef6r said:
Frank,
Yeah, it is Karl in Seattle. I found a local dealer that offered me the same price w no shipping on the Clydsdale. The question still remains; will the 5" liner be a bear to attach to the internal flue collar?
Thanks for everyones input. This is fast becoming my #1 forum.

Good job, I always prefer to see someone buy local if possible. I'm still available if you have questions

Well guys, I tried using the existing 5" liner and the draft is horrible. I'm going to order a 6' smooth wall just to be safe. Live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.