Clydsdale fan motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JGibbs

Jan 10, 2024
Hermitage, TN
I have a Clydesdale insert. It was expensive. I ha ve never been happy with the fan motor. I have not been able to get the ash-lip off to clean it out. I will try taking the door off to removet he ash-lip. But the problem still remains, the motor seems underpowered. Is there a more powerful motor available?

Thanks,

Jerry

Has it seemed to underperform since new? How old was it? Mine has performed well with the stock fan. Someone else has a post where it looks like his surround is too low. That may be blocking some of the hot air outlet, sending it behind the surround itself, instead of out into the room. Have you checked that this isn't happening?

I remember there being a sort of trick to getting the ash lip off, but it does. I'll be removing mine during the next warm up to vac out the blades. Perhaps I'll remember to video it.

Thanks for the reply. I had work done on my chimney and the stove is back a little from where it was, but the hot air comes into the room. It is just that the fan runs erratically.
A video of the “trick” getting off that ash lop would be great. Thanks again.

Has it seemed to underperform since new? How old was it? Mine has performed well with the stock fan. Someone else has a post where it looks like his surround is too low. That may be blocking some of the hot air outlet, sending it behind the surround itself, instead of out into the room. Have you checked that this isn't happening?

I remember there being a sort of trick to getting the ash lip off, but it does. I'll be removing mine during the next warm up to vac out the blades. Perhaps I'll remember to video it.
I've been thinking about creating my own YouTube channel and making videos on how to use/assemble/work with the Clydesdale. When I started with mine, there was almost nothing and it's frustrating. Plus, communicating with the manufacturer is not easy either.

There are two set screws you need to remove. Then you carefully lift the front edge while puling outward from side to side. It gets a little stuck under the front edge and just needs some effort.
You can lift the frame around the door.
Here is a video that might help..

Last edited: