Coal by tonage, around Lake County ohio?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
Anybody know of any place I can get coal by pick up or even delivery for Hard coal, around Lake County Ohio, closest place I have found is Ashland Ohio. Might even buy it by the bag, but I have a dump truck I can pick it up in bulk! Anybody know of any places?

Jason

Is there really a big difference between hard coal and soft coal? What are they?

I know someone who lives near Middlefield, OH in Geauga county and heats with coal. I don't know where he gets his coal from but when I google "coal middlefield ohio" I get the below.

Bosler Bros. Coal & Supply
16011 Madison Rd
Middlefield, OH 44062
(440) 632-0088

Not an expert in coal but hard coal is anthracite coal and I believe soft coal would be a bituninous coal.

FatttFire said:
Is there really a big difference between hard coal and soft coal? What are they?

Yes there is a big difference. Here in western PA where I live we have "soft" coal. We have "hard" coal out in the eastern part of the state. Hard coal almost looks like black glass. It burns hotter, longer and has far less impurities than soft coal. If you here guys that burn coal talk about clinkers (I think thats how you spell it??) it is nothing more than the molten hot impurities in the coal collecting into a mass in the fire box after the coal is burned away. Clinkers mainly come from the softer less pure coal. Hope this helps as a generic explanation. Also its common to see coal in this area going for as much as $170 a ton!

FatttFire said:

10-20% less BTUs and a little bit of smoke at start up with soft coal. I mix soft coal from the Kittanning vein in with my wood and it works great.About 5-10lbs in the middle of a load of wood makes for an all night burn when it gets down below 0.

Soft coal has a bad reputation I think it does not deserve.

There is a place in New Philadelphia OH called Central Fuel 330-339-5111. I think I paid $56.50 a ton last year for #6 grade lump coal. The mines are close by so there is little transportation to up the final cost. The people are decent there. If interested, call before you go to make sure they have what you want. Probably about 1.5 hr drive from Lake Co. depending on where you are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.