Coal chute!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I don’t see many of these anymore! I was footing a ladder today and spotted this old relic!

5332BC87-ADF4-4459-B259-3C260CA1576B.jpeg

I imagine you see a lot more coal in use down there. I dont think its been used up here since the 80s. I know my father used to buy it about a mile down the road. The DOT uses that lot to store mangled road signs and other scrap metal now. Google has a few places in neighboring cities that may sell it.

Yeah we still see quite a bit. But less and less each year as the price of coal goes up. Which doesn't hurt my feelings. I don't enjoy working on them much. That dirt is nasty

We have what I assume is an old coal door on the side of the house. It's long since been sealed up and insulated.