coal stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stikit2bigoyl

Feb 21, 2008
Waterville, Me
Howdy!~~new 2 this site...wondering if anyone knows of mobile home approved HANDFIRED coalstove....have only found 1 model by harman (DVC500) but it's a stoker. Thanx 4 any help.

I have a hand fed Harman mark III coal. Two things to remember with coal harmen needs so many feet of chimmny. The hand fed requires make up air for the Barometric damper.

I have the hand fed Harman TLC 2000 - both for wood and coal. I like it a lot, despite it being ugly, since it throws out a lot of heat (coal > wood).

I avoided "auto" feeders, blowers, fans and the like since I'm out in the boonies of NW MI with not unheard of power failures. Mostly trees vs power lines when it's good sailing weather; when there's bling in the wind. When the power fails, the stoves still works to spec - important with nasty winter storms we get. Not having to fiddle with gearing gone south I don't mind either. For me, winter heat is crucial. So, KISS rules.

Aye,
Marty

Marty I have been running a Harman Mark III for ten years on wood and some coal and I am happy with it except for the price of replacement grates. I have a spuratic problem of puff back . It scares you when it happins. Have you hade this happen burning wood? It seems to happen when I put freash wood on a hot bed of coals. At first I thought it was leaky door gaskets. But with new gaskets the problem came back. Is my wood not seasoned enough?? Thanks for you input

Status
Not open for further replies.