COLD this morning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Well, someone started a thread a couple weeks ago titled something like "you know it's close to burning season when...". Mysteriously, that thread dissapeared. But I'll tell you what- this morning, it was 39 outside, 62 in the living room. The wife says, "Maybe you should bring in some wood soon." Now THAT"S what I'm talkin' about ;-)

Things are a mite bit chilly up this way as well . . . and I noticed that some of the maples in the bogs have started turning color . . . and I even heard a few geese fly by when I was taking a break from cutting up firewood on Saturday.

52 degrees out by me on Long Island. Not that cold but I did go back in the house to get a light jacket before heading off to work. Fall will be here soon enough and so will my new Woodstock Fireview. :)

It's 52 this AM here in NW Jersey near the Delaware Water Gap. I also heard some geese passing through the other day.

53 here great for aug. easy on the ac!

Yup - no windows open on the drive in.

Squirrels knocking acorns all over the place on the oaks at work.

you guys will soon have all the windows and doors open, and the dog will be panting

bit chilly this morning here in maine. didn't get the temp. but went to sleep with all the windows open sleeping in shorts and a t-shirt . woke up this morning hiding under the comforter! lol and i have seen quite a few beautiful maples with there leaves turning a mighty shade of red, have not heard any geese yet

We have hade frost six times so far and the leaves are turning to mellow yellow. Yes I have had a couple of fires. Nice to have 8-10 thuosand btus of low controllable clean burnin heat available.

I will still be trying to hold out till late November before I heat things up.
At night its been in the 50's but we are looking at 80's during the day & no rain for at least 5 days!!!!

Peach pickin' weather.

Mine are ready. They were hard a s a rock last weekend.
Chilly nights ?

Not that I have enough, but peach pits must be a decent fuel.

billb3 said:
Peach pickin' weather.

Mine are ready. They were hard a s a rock last weekend.
Chilly nights ?

Not that I have enough, but peach pits must be a decent fuel.

make sure there seasoned LOL!

I have geese here year round.
I WISH they would leave.
Darned things honk while flying and they fly around all night.

Too many ponds, too many fields around me.

firefighterjake said:
Things are a mite bit chilly up this way as well . . . and I noticed that some of the maples in the bogs have started turning color . . . and I even heard a few geese fly by when I was taking a break from cutting up firewood on Saturday.

I saw some geese flying on August 9 and thought that was odd. Shouldn't they have been in molt then?

We've had several nights into the 40's and last night was the coldest. We put an extra blanket on during the night and the house was all closed up too. I got up this morning thinking it was hunting season already!

north of 60 said:
We have hade frost six times so far and the leaves are turning to mellow yellow. Yes I have had a couple of fires. Nice to have 8-10 thuosand btus of low controllable clean burnin heat available.

Hey north, I'll be you are really appreciating the heat already. No frost here yet, but not far from it last night.

Curious what you burn for firewood. Poplar?

Let us know when the first snow flakes show up there.

Mother in Law is up from PA and says there are a lot of Caterpillar nests in the trees down her way.I asked what does that mean,she says a very hard winter.

Rich L said:
Mother in Law is up from PA and says there are a lot of Caterpillar nests in the trees down her way.I asked what does that mean,she says a very hard winter.
cant ever argue with the mother in law!lol

smokinj said:
Rich L said:

Your right, you can't argue with the MIL or the wife. When I got married I sold my encyclopedia set on ebay. I had them advertised as " Great Encyclopedia set that will never be used again. Just got married - wife knows everything!"

Oh crap, I hope she doesn't read this.

Rockey said:
smokinj said:
Rich L said:

Your right, you can't argue with the MIL or the wife. When I got married I sold my encyclopedia set on ebay. I had them advertised as " Great Encyclopedia set that will never be used again. Just got married - wife knows everything!"

Oh crap, I hope she doesn't read this.
Thats it lmfao

Backwoods Savage said:
north of 60 said:

Hey north, I'll be you are really appreciating the heat already. No frost here yet, but not far from it last night.

Curious what you burn for firewood. Poplar?

Let us know when the first snow flakes show up there.

I burn Evil Pine ,Spruce, Poplar and a smidge of birch if Im lucky! Mostly pine though.
As for snow, we will see a fresh skim in the mountains soon enoufe. Then OH a hunting we will go.

Loaded up today, got the after burners going.. top on insert reading 650= no rodents, no insects, or any other nasties in the chimney. All potential critters destroyed, all doubts about efficiency erased. All-in-all- it is a go for this coming winter. ;-P

38 in marlow this morn. first burn last night. why save your wood? for what the cold. its here today. the saying goes : dont like it wait a minute. im still in my shorts.
;
:

Status
Not open for further replies.