Colored Flames??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy2000

Mar 14, 2007
www.murphysmachines.com
I did a search for colored flames, colored fire, etc etc and couldn't find anything so I'm starting a new topic.

Has anyone used one of those products that makes the colored flames? Are they ok to use in a wood stove?

Thanks,

OK in a non-cat woodstove if the concern is about hurting the stove. Not OK to use in a stove with a catalytic converter.

I supposed this gets down to personal preference.

For example: I'd prefer to see a woman with hair graying naturally as opposed to some off color from a bottle.

Which one is better??? That's for the beholder to choose.

pen

BeGreen said:
OK in a non-cat woodstove if the concern is about hurting the stove. Not OK to use in a stove with a catalytic converter.

..........yet another reason NOT to buy a "Cat" stove (lol).........

I've explored this topic a bit, the pinecones, the various types of "color your flame" stuff. Was thinkin it might be nice at Christmas. Didn't pull the trigger on any this year.........perhaps next year.

Let's face it, basic chemistry says that certain elements, under certain conditions, will burn in different colors. It's no miracle. That said.......I'm sure it's "pretty" but don't know how long it would last, or how vivid the colors would be.
The cost is not astronomical, but it's a lot to pay for effect. As one person said.......there ARE other ways to see colors in the fire..........let her (your guest) have a couple glasses of wine, for starters! (lol)

-Soupy1957

i have used these in a campfire and fireplace before ... the colors were quite vivid but very short lived ... i guess they would be alright to entertain kids but for an adult ...ehhhhhh they just didnt cut it for me but good luck let me know what u think..

ps i bet the local stove shop has them

Throw a couple small pieces of copper pipe in and it will make purple, green, etc flames. The stuff you buy is copper chloride or copper sulphate I believe.

I am not prejudice - I accept all colors in my flames.

(hey, wait a minute - that might not have come out right.)

Jags said:
I am not prejudice - I accept all colors in my flames.

(hey, wait a minute - that might not have come out right.)

Ya, were not supposed to use that word anymore, its nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.