Combustion Blower Concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moyerdm

Feb 1, 2014
Pottstown, PA
Hello everyone and forgive me if I break a rule, as this is my first time on here.

I have a Vista Flame VF100 pellet stove and have been contemplating pulling the combustion blower and cleaning it myself. I have the gaskets and am ready to do the work. I had a few questions first and was hoping for feedback.

First, this winter the stove has been running at max for almost two months straight. I have already put about 3.5 tons through the stove. It seems that the pot fills up and requires scraping about every 12 hours. Does this seem about right? At times, I have burned three bags a day. I also think I had a bad batch of pellets. The fines seemed ridiculous, so i screened a bag and ended up with 4 cups from one bag!

Second, the slide damper doesn't seem to be having an effect on the flame. Also, on start-up, the flame seems lazier than I remember it being last season.

All this together is leading me to the idea of pulling and cleaning the combustion blower. Does it seem as though I am on the right track?

I appreciate all of your help!

Asking for advice here IS the rule. Not against the rule.

Welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like you have a clog somewhere. Wen was the last time you gave the stove a good deep cleaning? I'd be willing to bet that the vent pipe is clogged with ash.

What kind of pellets are you burning?

Welcome to the forum!! Lots of new members posting of recent - must be the cold winter we're having!! X2 on the 'no question is a dumb question' idea - that's what we're all here for!

A lazy flame and more than usual ash build-up in the fire pot would indicate reduced airflow through your stove or vent system, and / or an air leak from a leaky gasket somewhere. So a deep cleaning of the stove and vent pipe, to include mister pat's above suggestion of using a vacuum type electric leaf blower on the vent for pulling out the fly ash your vacuum can't reach would certainly help after 3.5 tons of pellet consumption. (use the search option in the upper right corner to find lots of posts on the leaf blower cleaning).

Generally the combustion blower cleaning is a once a year project, when did you do that last on your stove? While there's never really a bad time to clean it, especially if you're blower is making funky sounds or seems to be pushing air less efficiently, many pellet stove owners do the combustion cleaning / gasket replacement in the spring at the end of the burn season, so the fly ash doesn't interact with the summer humidity and cause corrosion to the blower fan, especially if burning lower quality pellets with more creosote and impurities in the fly ash.

So maybe start with a deep cleaning, and maybe the 'dollar bill test' on your door gaskets (close a dollar bill in different places of your door gasket to see if the seal holds it reasonably tightly) and see if your flame quality and ash reduction improves. Re-post if that works or not for you.

This is season two and I have not cleaned the combustion blower. I have cleaned the stove regularly, and clean the vent pipe regularly. The vent is a three foot horizontal run right out of the wall. I just don't have a way to get to that blower. I also don't have access to a leaf vacuum.

I bought the pellet from a local mill, no barcode to scan. Not happy with them. They are from a company in PA according to the bag. The are named Wood Pellet Co.

I will test the door seal later today.

Thanks for all of the fast responses!

Thanks for the input everyone! I completed the dollar bill test in several spots and all seems well with the door seal. I went ahead and cleaned the blower and, so far, all seems well. I have the stove on a lower setting and have more heat. I cringe at the thought of how much fuel I may have wasted.

Thanks for the input everyone! I completed the dollar bill test in several spots and all seems well with the door seal. I went ahead and cleaned the blower and, so far, all seems well. I have the stove on a lower setting and have more heat. I cringe at the thought of how much fuel I may have wasted.
When you pull the blower off make sure you completely clean the chamber behind it . That is where ash will pile up and block your air flow. Also, pull off the three panels on the back of the fire box. Ash will pile up in the chamber behind there too. The leaf blower trick works pretty good for stove pipe and some parts of the stove. But it won't pull all the ash out of the stove.

Good to hear your stove is running better. I'm going to guess, from the most frequent forum postings, that at least 3/4 of the pellet stove performance problems are the result of ash buildup somewhere in the system. Be advised that burning lower quality pellets, as well as running it on low speed, will both result in more ash build up, and thus require more frequent cleanings. Recognizing the flame quality and color when it is burning optimally (vigorous whitish yellow vs 'lazy' orange flame) is typically the first indication when a stove is not burning as efficiently and needs a good cleaning and / or or a better quality pellet, or an air leak fixed, usually in that order, it seems.

Keep your eye out this spring at your local hardware or big box store for a sale on electric leaf blowers, the kind that is a combo vacuum and blower type. Usually you can pick one up on sale for $25 - 40. They really do the best job of pulling loose ash out of the bowels of your stove, including the combustion blower, after you've done a normal scraping and vacuum cleaning of the ash traps and heat exchanger.

My leaf blower just crapped out doing my post - 2nd ton deep cleaning, so I used a dryer vent lint brush, coming in from the back side of the stove, to loosen any clumped ash in the stoves exhaust pathway, then stuck my shop vac hose in there with a rag as a seal between the vac hose and the vent collar to generate as much suction as possible. That worked OK, but the shop vac, even with a new vac bag in it, doesn't generate as much cfm suction as the leaf blower does. Nor is it nearly as fun as watching the leaf blower 'ash dragon' blow all the loose ash out of your stove into the yard !! Lots of entertaining You Tube videos on that process.

In my stove there is access to about half of the combustion blower fan area from behind the cast plate that normally sits in front of it. So at least every other week or so during the heavy burning season, when I'm cleaning the heat exchanger and the ash traps behind the cast bricks, I get in there with a 1" paint brush and a screw driver to brush / scrape whatever ash has accumulated on the fins and base of the blower. Not sure if your stove model has the same access to the combustion blower, but if so, it is worth the short time it takes to do it. As you apparently found as the problem with your stove, it is a critical component of a pellet stoves proper functioning.

In the spring at the end of the burn season, I pull both the combustion and convection blowers out and thoroughly clean and blow them out with compressed air, then I spray a light coating of high temperature graphite spray onto the blower fins and 'squirrel cages', which help prevent rust and crud build-up in the off-season and seems to reduce the ash and dust build-up on it during the next burning season. I also lube the bearing shafts with some 3 - in - 1 oil while I have it out, hopefully prolonging the life of the blower motors.

I think most everyone would concur that the best way to do the thorough annual cleaning is to take the stove outside and blow out the entire stove with compressed air. My stove is a PITA to get down the 2 flights of stairs and out to the garage where my compressor is, so I just do a good vacuuming and then leaf blower cleaning, as well as sweeping the vent with a vent brush, and that seems to work fine, especially now that I'm burning 100% soft wood pellets throughout the burn season.

Putting a dry-z-air packet in the burn pot and in the ash pan helps keep summer moisture from rusting the steel parts of the stove. I also stuff a rag into my vent cap to keep birds and other critters from flying into or setting up house in my venting over the summer. Put a note in your stove to remind you the vent is plugged up before your first start-up in the fall !

Most of this is preventive maintenance stuff that seems to be the best way to prolong your stove's functional lifespan and reduce frustrating breakdowns. Before I found this forum and 'got religion', as it were, on maintaining and troubleshooting it, I threw multiple hundreds of dollars in parts and repairs at it in one season, but now am into my 2nd burn season without a single breakdown or 'misadventure'. "Your results may vary", but certainly there is something to be said for prevention vs having to fix something after it breaks down, usually at an inopportune time, that could have been avoided with some simple maintenance.

Hope you find this forum as helpful as I have, and stay on as a regular visitor and contributor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. Good that you trudged ahead and cleaned it. That stove is a digital version of the Enviro EF3, a workhorse. Don't forget to clean out that baffle under the air tubes every 20 or so bags- and clean in between the air tubes too. For lazy flame, I guess so after 3-4 tons, a lot of stoves would have given up and not let the vacuum switch close (too much fly ash to blow through). Clean the stove, she will work great for you. Seal all up well too, the motors will last longer. Welcome to the forum too.

Status
Not open for further replies.