1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Combustion Blower

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Robzheat, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robzheat

Robzheat New Member

I know I have beaten this to death, but is everyone in agreement that their combustion blower is somewhat quiet and their distribution blower is the one that makes the noise? I know it's the combustion blower that I'm talking about because it's the noise I'm referring to when the stove first starts up and shuts down. I had a tech out to look at ithe stove for a whistle noise which they fixed ( intake has a small leak which they sealed with silicone) , and he said the noise was normal. Is it worthto buy a replacement Comb blower, anyone know how much they cost?

thanks for any info!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    Ill check, Rob...at home now, So I cant tell you......Since your stove is under warrantee, I would think you shouldnt need to buy a new one. Yea, the cob blower makes SOME noise, but its really quite minimal....unless you are expecting it to make No noise. In almost all cases, a healthy comb blower versus a healthy dist blower...the dist blower is noisier.
  3. Robzheat

Robzheat New Member

Thanks for the input, I know the Comb blower should make some noise, but it defintely makes much more noise then my dist blower, I can't even hear my dist blower.
  4. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    is it a rattle? sometimes the black guard cover on top of the comb fan has a loose or broken catch, and can vibrate.....put your finger on the guard and see if it stops....careful not to touch any leads tho! (I think this should still be warrantee tho)!
  5. Robzheat

Robzheat New Member

no rattle, just a lot of air sound as though the fan is to strong for the stove. and some motor sound, the motor sound is more of a stong hum,

FYI- the stove is a new Harman XXV
  6. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    My comb blower makes about the same or less noise as my fridge when the compressor kick on. So you have a couple of options...

First tell the dealerthat you really feel that your comb blower is defective (it does happen) and ask them to replace it with a new one. If they insist that it is normal go to the store where they have one burning hopefully phones won't be ringing in the background maybe if you go there at closing they will let you stay behind when not many people are in there....

second you can tell them that if the new motor makes the same noise that you will cover the cost of the motor so as not to irritate the dealer with his out of pocket expenses.

Third you can buy one yourself and install it. Don't know if you have any experience with this kind of stuff.

I would go with the dealer route first though.

Did the blower make the same noise level before they fixed the whistling problem?
  7. Robzheat

Robzheat New Member

GVA, Yes it made the same noise before they fixed it. Thanks for the info.
  8. TedNH

TedNH Member

Loc:
    Surry NH
    Check that the rubber feet are screwed out beyond the cast iron legs of the stove.
    When I first installed my XXV I used the test function to make sure I had everything hooked up right BEFORE I leveled the stove.
    It was pretty loud. Made a humming noise as you say. I would be willing to bet that one or more of your cast iron legs is touching the hearth.
  9. Robzheat

Robzheat New Member

I checked the rubber feet , it's on the rubber!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.