Combustion Motor vibration, stops when minor pressure applied.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill3rail

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
LI, NY
My combustion motor seems to have an annoying vibration when it is running. At first, it was only vibrating until it was warmed up, now it is all the time. I have removed it, cleaned, checked for bent fins and cleaned the soot off. When I plug it in (off the stove) it runs as quiet as a mouse. When I mount it in the stove, she vibrates like a bastitch!

Video shows how minor finger pressure quiets motor down. I hope the audio is loud enough to hear it.

In case you don't read my sig line, England's Stove Works 25 PDV...

Thanks,

Bill

my blower is at the early stages of your issue......a slight vibration until its warm

That is exactly how mine was, but during this cold snap, the noise became constant.
We have been burning about a bag per day with this cold snap.
I may go to Grainger to find a replacement, other than Fasco brand to see if that helps.

Bill

I had a loud convection fan with a crimped can housing. I put a hose clamp around the end and tightened it. It quieted the harmonic vibration some. Just a band-aid until the new motor arrived.

I had the same thing happen to an aftermarket blower on my stove. The dealer gave me an identical replacement. I discovered that both units were badly out of balance, and the vibration caused the cheesy sheet metal cover to loosen and vibrate. I stopped the rattling by using a strong spring, but the vibration and rumbling continued. I balanced the new fan, and it's running smooth and quiet.

Here's a thread on balancing blowers: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/balanced-fan-quieter-stove.82005/#post-1049682

The bearing carriers on those motors loosen over time. They are each held in place by three or four dimples in the cylindrical part of the motor housing. I fixed mine by taking a small nail set and hammer to drive the dimple tight again. It is easy to do, it takes more time to remove the motor from the stove than to do the actual repair.

I had the same thing happen to an aftermarket blower on my stove. The dealer gave me an identical replacement. I discovered that both units were badly out of balance

I did check for balance, and each time I spun the fan, she landed with a different fin down. This to me said that the fan is close enough to balanced, and should not be the problem.

Thanks,

Bill

The bearing carriers on those motors loosen over time.
Not too much time on my stove at all. I would think hope that they would last more than 1-1/2 winters in a semi cold environment.
We also have never ran our stove 24/7, because there is no need for it here. Even with the past few weeks of bitter cold we run her intermittently (more hours off than on).

Bill

Not too much time on my stove at all. I would think hope that they would last more than 1-1/2 winters in a semi cold environment.
We also have never ran our stove 24/7, because there is no need for it here. Even with the past few weeks of bitter cold we run her intermittently (more hours off than on).

Bill
Could be you just have some crud stuck to the impeller, but if that it isn't it the motor end plates are the most likely cause.

Could be you just have some crud stuck to the impeller

The impeller is very clean, definitely NOT the problem.
Had some soot on it, but not enough to be concerned, and it blew off easily with compressed air.

if that isn't it the motor end plates are the most likely cause.

I will check that if I can. I do not know how to check, but I will attempt to remove the motor again tomorrow morning.

Bill

The impeller is very clean, definitely NOT the problem.
Had some soot on it, but not enough to be concerned, and it blew off easily with compressed air.

I will check that if I can. I do not know how to check, but I will attempt to remove the motor again tomorrow morning.

Bill

I posted this last year, here it is again. There are three or four dimples at each end of the motor shell.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-25pdvc-exhaust-fan-noise-rattle.102020/#post-1356294
10-1111b-png.86710

Last edited:
Thanks Harvey,

I probably read it last year, but it did not relate to me then. Maybe now it does.

I guess this does not come up as often as asking about an OAK, or what is the best brand of pellets are to buy or god forbid generators and sine waves!

Bill

P.S. What happened to motors with bolts through them to hold them together? Or motors that could be disassembled for brush replacement?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.