Complete novice here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I guess what I need to know is how do you install an insert? What needs to be in the opening to make one work...can it literally just be a hole and you stick it in there and hook up the chimney?

Search on "insert install" there are hundreds of examples here. See if some are similar to your circumstance.

I wouldn't buy anything that's not a advanced burn tube type or a catylitic type, both will burn most of the smoke produced and are so much cleaner and efficient. The stove you missed out on would have been an older smoke dragon I think. Inserts can be pretty small and even with a blocking plate which block most of the heat produce from going up the chimney I think you still lose some of it. I could be wrong though....? I could have put one in my place here as I have a chimney chase but I went with a free standing stove then I have the black double wall stove piping going into the chase and then it transitions to class A stainless insulated piping from there up to the top of the chase.

Make sure you pull all the firebrick out and it will lighten it up the one I have I was able to get in with a buddy

Yes, fire brick out and take the door off too. Also the ash pan and plug if it has that. Then with two of you and a good two wheeler and a strap if you think you'd need it you can get it in place. You might need a tiled pad too. I bought mine with the stove.

Congratulations. Thats' a nice heater. Good deal too.

Yes! Good going on the new stove! If your like me you'll love burning wood. If you haven't already looked at the tips for collecting and storing wood then dig in and learn about how much good dry wood will make the task of hearing with wood so much easier and enjoyable.

It "might" be ok if top covered and kept off the ground. Proceed with strong skepticism.

Look at it. If it hasn't been out too Long it might be ok but you really want to have it covered. Maybe since it didn't rain in California for years it might be good. When wood starts to rot we call it punky. The end grain can look different, it's like you can't see the rings any longer and even at times you can see fungus. If you see any fungus growing on the splits pass on it.

We've had record rainfall here in CA! I've got two feet of snow in my driveway and can't drive up there to the cabin.
We've had record rainfall here in CA! I've got two feet of snow in my driveway and can't drive up there to the cabin.
Yes! I have heard that lately you've gotten a lot of precip. Like I said my ma and one sister live in the valley, actually in Antelope California