compressed wood bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdog

Oct 15, 2013
Mineral wells wv
Was thinking on trying those compressed wood bricks they sell at tfs. Was wondering how many you guys use and are they worth the money burn long? I was thinking about using them during the day while im at work for my wife thought it would be easier for her any thoughts or recommendations let me have em oh and it will be in my 13-nc thanks guys

We used the old ones (6 pack) for the first two years to mix with less than seasoned wood, to help get heat into the firebox. Personally, I wouldn't use just the bricks and I don't think they burn any better or longer than good dry wood. If you DO use them, be very careful with using them exclusively. Follow their directions and pack tightly and don't load on a big load of coals. They probably have like a 5% moisture content and you don't want them loosely packed in the stove, that's just asking for an overfire. Oh, and they are like splits, if you're putting a few in at a time, be sure to put in more than one. they like company (we tried a few "brick only" loads and found they didn't burn as long as a load of wood. Also, one brick at a time makes for a sad little fire that doesn't really heat, just like putting in one split. Load in at least twos with a little airspace worked for us-but if you're putting in a full load, make sure they are tight together so it's like one mass).

yea i was just going to mix in with wood aswell iv heard of people over fireing really fast with only the bricks in. Did you notice any better heat out put or dramatically longer burn time with say two splits and two bricks in. Im new only had my stove for three days now iv never put more than three splits in but people are saying they put 5 or more in at a time im not not good or comfortable yet i wish i was

Was thinking on trying those compressed wood bricks they sell at tfs. Was wondering how many you guys use and are they worth the money burn long? I was thinking about using them during the day while im at work for my wife thought it would be easier for her any thoughts or recommendations let me have em oh and it will be in my 13-nc thanks guys

tfs?

Reactions: gyrfalcon
We did have better burn times at the TIME, because our wood wasn't well seasoned. However, now, buring good seasoned stuff, I'd say it wasn't any better with them than what we're burning now. We didn't bother buying any this year, now that we're not fighting wood that sizzles!

Yeah, it takes a little while to get comfortable enough with the stove to pack it to the top of the bricks.

if your talking bio bricks, i have put 8 in at once, 4 on the floor in a 'u' pattern, 2 in a tee-pee in the center and 1 on each corner. Had no overfiring issues. Burn time was about 4-5 hours. You shouldn't move them, poke them, and they need to be as flat as possible beause they "accordian". i would only buy these when they go on sale, i think it was 20 for $9. worth it, cause i cannot run my oil furnace 5 hours for 2.70.

i hear in Scandanavia they are ubiquitous.

oh, TS, those are those huge bricks the size of shoe boxes. They wouldn't burn for me, I ended up needing to chop them up. Won't buy them again.

Yea Tractor Farm Supply is where i seen these think it was $4 for 6 of the blocks not 100% on prise but not much more then that. I have some really good wood mabe 2 cords of 2.5 year seasoned hickory oak ash and cherry some locast to but i also have two cords of stuff in mid 20s to mid 30s moisture with a meter i might try to use them with that wood then. 8 at one wow and only got 4-5hrs some one on another site said they would get 9-10 hrs with 5 of them

I use them mainly as 'shoulder season' fires.
I also don't find them hot enough for deep season burns.
I also mix them in with other 'shoulder season' wood (my cheap stuff.. dry pine, cut-offs & such)

I will drop one in if we're going to be out for a while (block that is) just to keep something going.

Just my opinion, I like the bricks as added fuel over the blocks for shoulder season burns.
I do use blocks during deep season, but basically as stated above.

And as reffered to above, there's just no substute for good dry hardwood.

There are large quality differences between the various compressed products on the market. Some are excellent, highly compressed bricks or logs. They burn like good hardwood or better. Other use lower compression and are not so hot. They flake easily, burn fast and make a lot of ash. For the best results stick with the highly compressed products. In my testing these are products like BioBricks, EcoBricks, Prest-Logs and Northern Idaho Energy logs.

When burning these products read and respect the manufacturer's recommendations for burning first. There are a lot of btus in this fuel. Avoid anything that is wax impregnated like traditional DuraFlame logs.

Last edited:
Reactions: eclecticcottage
Begreen iv heard alot of people say stay away from the wax stuff is there a reason for that the guy i got my stove from gave me a ton of fire starters that say they are wax embedded little round things never used them but that just made me wonder why. i will look at these closer and get the manufactures name of them i cant remember now.

A couple fire starters at a time are ok. You are not filling the firebox with them. If you chopped up a DuraFlame log you would have several dozen starters.

will it jump start the start up temps to rise alot faster to 500-600 if used with good wood or would it be about the same time to get therre

They saved my butt when I had less than ideally seasoned wood. I mixed them in with the splits, they burned nice and hot, got the temps up. Of course, that was when they were 3 bucks for eight in a pack...still have about ten packs in the cellar, just in case of a "rainy day";lol;lol

i sometime use those envirolog, compressed wax cardboard. i take a log and break it apart by hand into little shreds/chunks. then I toss a small handful in as a starter. 1 log makes about 2 shoe boxes of chucks.

With good fuel there is no need for an accelerant. Almost all stove companies explicitly warn against their use.

Reactions: firebroad
still have about ten packs in the cellar, just in case of a "rainy day";lol;lol

i keep about 5 cases of biobrick in the cellar also...who knows...

With good fuel there is no need for an accelerant. Almost all stove companies explicitly warn against their use.

aren't supercedars the same idea?

Yes, similar. But they are not a fuel, they are a starter. There is a big difference between using a starter to get a fire going and an accelerant to keep it going. If you are using a wax log or a bunch of starters to warm the house you are using the stove incorrectly. If you are cutting a waxed log into many tiny pieces to use as a starter I don't think that is a problem.

Yes, similar. But they are not a fuel, they are a starter. There is a big difference between using a starter to get a fire going and an accelerant to keep it going. If you are using a wax log or a bunch of starters to warm the house you are using the stove incorrectly.

no, i put in a small handfull of little shreds/chunks then light it as a starter. sometimes i wrap them in a piece of newspaper.

There are large quality differences between the various compressed products on the market. Some are excellent, highly compressed bricks or logs. They burn like good hardwood or better. Other use lower compression and are not so hot. They flake easily, burn fast and make a lot of ash. For the best results stick with the highly compressed products. In my testing these are products like BioBricks, EcoBricks, Prest-Logs and Northern Idaho Energy logs.

When burning these products read and respect the manufacturer's recommendations for burning first. There are a lot of btus in this fuel. Avoid anything that is wax impregnated like traditional DuraFlame logs.

begreen, have you tried the northern idaho energy logs? how are they if you have?

begreen, have you tried the northern idaho energy logs? how are they if you have?
I've used them, they're great, they burn twice as long as bio bricks and other compressed logs I've tried. They're more money but since they burn twice as long it's worth the extra dough.

They are the original Pres-to-logs and the among best I have used. I like them a lot. 3 will put out a surprising amount of heat and they will burn for a very long time with almost no ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.