1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Computer problem

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Backwoods Savage, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Suddenly I have this process going with dllhost.exe

It will start out using not too much memory but then suddenly it will begin to use more and more every second and will soon run out of RAM. When I end the process, it will sometimes start right back up. Other times it doesn't. This just started in the last few days. Nothing has shown up with Norton or Malware bytes and the computer seems to run fine once I stop the thing. Just wondering if someone has an idea.

I tend to think it is perhaps my email program, Incredimail but am not sure yet.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
  3. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Thanks Retired guy.

I think I have finally figured out the problem child. I have a video that I copied. I tried to delete it and it will not delete. I tried to rename it and it will not rename. What happens then is that Explorer quits working and the only way I've gotten it to working again is to reboot.

So, how do I get that file off the compter? Any ideas?
  4. Retired Guy

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
  5. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    I may have to give that one a try. Thanks.
  6. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Quick thoughts:
    Try to delete using MS-DOS commands: start>run>cmd.exe
    Boot into "safe mode with command prompt" after a reboot and try do delete the file using MS-DOS commands. You'll probably need to using the "cd" commands to get to the directory where the file is stored.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good advice semipro. This doesn't sound good. Dennis, what is the content of the video? Was it from a known and safe source?
  8. Dave A.

Dave A. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
  9. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    It was from a safe source BG but I'll be danged if I can even remember what the video was. It would not run.

Good news is that I finally got it deleted. However, I then tried to also delete it from the recycle bin. It tried for over and hour but never deleted. It says there are 27,740 kb to this file. Doesn't seem that large but I'm very curious as to why it took so long to delete. Wish I'd have timed it when it finally deleted from the Pictures folder but didn't. For sure it was not over an hour but it was a long time.
  10. Dave A.

Dave A. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    If that happens again, Dennis, rather than reboot, what you might try is to go into task manager <ctl><alt><del>, go into processes, find any open explorer.exe processes and end them (end process), then go up to File, new task (run) and type explorer, enter. Most of the time it should bring back your desktop.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    There is a program called 'unlocker' that will kill a process and unlock a file and delete, still sounds sketchy

Try it, if it doesn't work than I would
    • Download, install and run ccleaner (getting rid of junk will speed up scans)
    • Turn off system restore
    • Manually install the latest malware bytes update, disconnect from internet and do a full scan
    • I am not a Norton fan, I would remove and install security essentials, avast or avg and do full scans
  12. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    The only problem left is I can't get rid of it in the recycle bin. Perhaps the next time I empty the recycle it will go. Until then, the computer is now working just fine. Thank you.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan

I was not a Norton fan either but the last computer I bought came with it so I decided to just try it. So far, so good. As for avast, it is the worst I've ever had and we ended up with all sorts of problems. Have had good luck with avg. Not sure why you would turn off restore.
  14. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    I would run avast over Norton myself, but everyone has their preference, if your sure the computer is clean and your restore points are clean than no reason to turn it off

If you installed ccleaner, Boot to safe mode command prompt only, once at command prompt type in: explorer and hit enter, then in run box type in ccleaner and run it, see if it will empty your recycle bin
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  15. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Worst case whatever virus checker you have should let you quarantine the file.
  16. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    But would it have to be quarantined in the recycle bin?
  17. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    If you have a back up, you may have the file in back up, and it may restore the file back if you run restore. Make sure you run a fresh back up after you do get rid of it, then dump the prior restores that may contain it.
  18. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah. It would just keep it from doing any harm till ya can figure out how to get rid of it.
  19. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Got it. Thanks guys.
  20. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    How did ya "got it"?
  21. Retired Guy

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    Just read that MalwareBytes Pro protects against "ransomeware" infections.
  22. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    I do have MalwareBytes Pro. Tried deleting it one more time and it worked on that for some time (didn't time it just walked away from the computer to do other things). Anyway, we colored it gone!
    BrotherBart likes this.