Concrete home, expert needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SE Iowa

Jan 17, 2008
SE Iowa
Ok, I have a tough (in my mind) question. I live in a ICF home with brick siding. So my walls are as follows from inside to the outside:
1. 0.5" drywall
2. 2.5" styrofoam
3. 8" of reinforced concrete
4. 2.5" styrofoam
5. ~0.75 airgap
6. 4" brick

This totals near 18" thick.

I have a radiant floor system throughout the house and plan on getting a wood gasifying boiler in the future. For the meantime, I'd like to install a woodstove in the basement on the north end of the house which is where the walkout entry is as well. Basically, there would be easy access to this room for the tons of wood already rotting in my timbres. It also would naturally be the coldest end of the house. My problem is with the flue. I can NOT go thru the floors above d/t the radiant floor heat tubes embedded in gypcrete. I could bore a hole in the wall and run a flue up the outside of the house but am not sure how high does it need to be to clear the roof? In additionally, the main part of the house (24' to the south) goes up one more floor (think 2 storey colonial with wing on N side and walk out on N side). Do I need to clear this height as well? Finally, what kind of horizontal flue would be needed (triple walled?) so that the styrofoam would not be comprimised? Any help would be appreciated.

Interestingly enough, these insulated concrete homes are amaizing. The styrofoam on the inside of the concrete slows (does not stop) the heat transfer to the outer walls. I am assuming that most of the heat will radiate off the stove (like a stove does) before penetrating the wall. I.E. it is not an exposed concrete wall. I also am planning on putting some sort of fire wall b/w the stove and wall. I think they make some sort of special gypsum based fire backers that are 1/2" thick, which will absorb heat but once again should radiate back out too.

Regardless of the home construction the same rules apply regarding clearances to combustibles. To pass through the exterior wall you'll need a wall thimble that maintains required clearances. I agree with Pook, if at all possible, put the stove on the first floor where you'll get better area heating and will have a nice fire to look at. That is unless the basement is the area where heat is most desired.

i would add that with the higher peak not close to the intended flue the installation on the chimney can be tricky, i would strongly suggest input from a local CSIA, WETT, NFI or equivalent chimney professional , the low first floor with higher second floor roof within 20-30 ft can cause draft issues in a lot of cases especially if you are in a windy climate. have you thought about a pellet unit? may work better in the footprint you wish to install the stove due to the aformentioned flue issues. either way , get an on site opinion before proceding if i read your post correctly its gonna be tricky to do what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.