Condensate return

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boilerbreaker

Jul 27, 2016
Louisiana
I'm currently repairing a old 3 drum B&W boiler and found that the plant was bypassing the DA with their condensate return and pumping it straight into the boiler
I've been repairing boilers for long time and never seen condensate system set up in this manner an industrial boiler setting.
So I have a question.
What could be any adverse effects of bypassing the DA with the condensate water?
Possible Oxygen pitting would be my first guess but I'm not in the water treatment business.

I'm very courious

hate to say it but I think you're in the wrong place. there may be a couple steam heads here to talk to, but there is almost no discussion of steam here. I'd suggest you look on heatinghelp.com they have some real steam gurus there.

trying to be helpful,
karl

Higher O2 in the condensate / feed water is a pretty good guess on the chemistry end.

Operationally, bypassing the DA seems it would lead to cooler feed water and more thermal shock when it enters the boiler. And cooler feed water will reduce overall plant thermal efficiency.

At my plant, condensate runs about 100 F. The DA runs about 250 - 275 F. It's set to 10 psi and is supplied by low pressure TG extraction steam with main steam backup if TG extraction is not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.