condensation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jertola

Sep 20, 2013
Long Island
I'm new to burning wood pellets this season. I purchased 6 tons of pellets before the season started and they are all stored in my garage. Today I went to grab a couple of bags and noticed a thin layer of condensation on all of the top bags. I'm assuming it was because of the dramatic temp change this week. 5° to 50° in two days. I'm just wondering if anyone has run into before and weather or not it caused a problem. Thanks.

Same thing at my Mother in-laws The top of the tarps were damp but the pellets are fine
Put something over them to catch the moist air.

If your garage is not heated it's because the temperature/dew point inside the garage was equal to or lower than the outside. Moisture moves toward the cold. I don't recommend covering your pellets with a tarp that does not breathe. That just further traps the moisture under the tarp. Keep some air circulating and heat the space where you store your pellets.

I've noticed this too as my pellets are stored in my shed. The Vermont's bags are sealed so I don't see any worries...I seem to remember one brand I bought had small holes in the bag...Okies, Lignetics?

Noticed the same thing yesterday, I just left them alone in the house and they are fine

The problem occurs when the temperature rises after a cold spell. The warmer air picks up moisture from wherever it can. The pellets don't heat up as fast as the air, so they are colder than the air. The air at the surface of the pellet bag gets chilled to the dew point and condensation happens.
If it is enough to make it drip onto the pellet bags, it could cause problems. By the way, every brand of pellets that I have purchased has had perforations in the bags.

I noticed our bags that were stacked on the porch had frost on them today. The pellets inside were ok although they seemed a little softer and easy to break. No problems with the stove.

Our tractor tire had frost coming out from it too. They are filled with a saltwater antifreeze. You can see the level with the frost line image.jpg

Ha! That too funny the photo posted upside down

I noticed our bags that were stacked on the porch had frost on them today. The pellets inside were ok although they seemed a little softer and easy to break. No problems with the stove.

Our tractor tire had frost coming out from it too. They are filled with a saltwater antifreeze. You can see the level with the frost lineView attachment 123711

Ha! That too funny the photo posted upside down
There goes my vertigo again.

I takes talent to park the tractor on the barn ceiling

I've noticed this too as my pellets are stored in my shed. The Vermont's bags are sealed so I don't see any worries...I seem to remember one brand I bought had small holes in the bag...Okies, Lignetics?
I seem to remember being told that all bags have tiny holes to allow for heat escaping and prevention of interior condensation of the pellets are warm when loaded into the bags. I have seen holes in my MWP blend, MWP softies, and Green Teame bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.