Confused and Overwhelmed trying to find a used wood stove!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msdconley

Oct 11, 2008
Central Maine
Hi all,

First time here and I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site. I have been looking at wood and pellet stoves for many weeks now and am quite confused about the differences in some.

What is the difference between catalytic and non catalytic????

I am looking at a Vermont Casting Resolute right now. I am trying to heat a 1500 sq ft home.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Deb

Were you able to find out main information section?
https://www.hearth.com/what/specific.php

There are articles about cats and non-cats and a good general article about choosing a stove:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

The stove you mention is non-cat, as are most stoves on the market today. Depending on how well your home is insulated - and how big your wood pile is, that stove may do most of the job.

I'm sure you are aware that Vermont Castings went bankrupt a few months ago and were sold at auction this summer. We have not heard much from the new company yet - except that they are NOT taking care of the warranties on stoves sold before this year. Honestly, that is very disappointing. They also tripled the price of some of their parts last spring - before they went belly-up.

I would like to see VC rise from the ashes....but at the same time with the expensive parts and doing wrong by all their loyal customers...that does not impress me.

Visit all of your local stove dealers, talk to and listen well to all wood burners. Visit all of your wood burner friends and buddies, do the same. Take the most reasonable advice and research it on hearth.com. Ask your dad, if you are lucky enough to still have him.

Choose wisely from the best local sources. There are many great stoves out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.