Connecting 6" ss liner to wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogre

Nov 10, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I have an old Avalon wood Burning insert. The 6" Damper is at a 45 on the top back of the unit.
My overall Chimeny lenght is roughtly 12 feet.

I plan to run from the top of the chimney down as set up like this...:

Cap, trim plate and all the top end fixins...
3x 3 foot sections of double wall 6" chimney liner (9 feet)
Then I will attach a 6" SS Flex liner to go thru the old flue opening and make my offsets over to the stove.

My question is how to attach the 6" Flex to the Stoves damper output.?

I've read on the posts abt keeping all connections funneling inward.

Does my 6" flex go "into" the stove damper? how does this affect teh damper operation.

OR do i set it down over the flange and attach with a hose clamp?

OR what is the proper way to make this connections..

All of this is running down an exsting masonry chimney.

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

If the male end of the pipe went into the collar an inch or so, would it hit the damper mechanism? I'm not familiar with that stove design. Normally a flex connector is what attached flex to an insert. Different flex connectors have different provisions for securing them.

It only looks like ther is maybe 3/4" inside the flange before the thru pin that acts as the rotation point fo rthe damper itself. I dont currenlty have an "appliance adapter" per say. I was looking for a clean way to do this with out the need for an additoanl part but want to do it right... ?

Ohh yea, I think I know what he is talking about, the damper for the stove is right on top so doing a direct connect is hard, I think what had been discussed is making a 2 or 3 inch high box to go over the damper, something like this but I think it had to be more of a box to fit over it and had to have a hole in it to allow for the damper rod to go through:

insertbootnoinsulation.jpg

But just to make sure I'm right... I run the Flex liner to the ID of the stoves flue/damper if possible, is so hopw do i secure it.
If i can used the ID of the liner over the OD of the flange of the flue/damper I recon I can use a pipe clamp or drill some pilot hole and screw so long as the screws do not inter fer with the damper rotation.

Is this ID or OD connection a big deal / saftey issue. I thought we should always funnel in ward in case we have creosote run down the liner it would make it back into the burn box and burn up so it did not run to the outside of the liner and burn between the liner and the chimney wall...

Thanks for all the input...

OK. Well I'm good to go every where except at the stove flue/damper doing the male to female down... so I will try to do this inside at the flue.damper as well if possible, if not I will go over the flange and seal well as you suggest. If I can get inside the flue/damper with the liner how does one secure this... drill pilot holes thru the metal flange of the stove and screw thru and into the liner??? (and watch to not obstruct the damper rotation)

Thanks again. I'll hopefully have at it later this week.

sometimes you can notch that appliance adapter, or trim it shorter, most of them are 4 inches tall with two on the small id and two inches on the larger id.

This in part is my question... I do NOT have an appliance adapter... Do I HAVE TO have one or can I simply run the flex to the wood stove? If I run it direct how do I make the connection?

I just ran my flex into the insert flue opening (cut notches on either side of flex pipe to go over damper pivot rod), drilled three holes through stove collar and flex and secured with ss screws. Sealed joint with furnace cement.

This is what I'm gping to do as well. Measured and dry fit and this looks to be the best option.

So I'll have the cap and top flanges. 3x 3foot sections of doublewall ss chimney then transition to 6" ss flex and take the flex directly into the burner damper and afix with screws, flashing if needed and cement.

thanks all. will post pic of and after install. give me a week, getting dark quick now after work and will be out of town this weekend.

PS this was my 1st post/question onn the forums. thanks for the advise and quick responces.

Matt AKA "OGRE"

I am going to be installing my insert tomorrow and read all the posts here.

I bought it used and it didnt come with the three 1" brackets to connect the stove to the appliance vertical connector for the flex liner. This:
http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/images/appliance_connector.jpg

I am going to run and see if I can find the brackets tomorrow morning, if I cant, I am going to fabricate them. No big deal. I have noticed that the connection between the appliance vertical connector and the top of the insert is not air tight (by any means...)

Should I make this connection air tight with furnace cement or can silicone do the trick? Can I get silicone that is rated for consistent temperatures that would be expected with 24/7 burning?

Thanks
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.