Connecting liner to insert with little clearance.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thekid1877

Feb 2, 2021
Ohio
Hello everyone. First post, but have been visiting for years. I‘m looking for some advice on a insert I installed last year. I purchased a Fireplace X Large Flush Hybrid about this time last year. I also lined both of my flues, did some crown repair and put on a multi-flu copper cap. When I purchased the insert i knew it was going to be tight but i wanted the largest possible viewing area. The insert went into a old heatilator, so i had to cut out the damper, part of the back wall and a small area next to where the damper was. Once it was in the house and in front of the opening I realized just how tight it was going to be. At this point I am way to committed and this thing was going in no matter what. This is the end result.

There was less than a quarter inch clearance up top. The second picture is the insert pushed to one side. Even then had only 4-5”. I was able to manipulate the liner, with some help, from up top and get it partly into the insert. I wasn’t able to bolt any of the brackets in but it felt fairly tight all considered.

I didn’t feel great about it but I fired it up and it was drafting well. Didn’t have any issues the rest of the year. I noticed a few weeks ago I was getting a little smoke in the house when I opened the insert door and just seemed like it wasn’t drafting well. So yesterday I cleaned the insert out and looked up from inside and found the liner to be loose.

I’m not going to run it until i get this issue fixed. I’m kind of at a lose of what to do. My only thought is if i could remove some of the “up right” bricks in that first corse above the insert. I would probably have to cut away more of the heatilator but that would give me plenty of room to work on the connector. Also it would be covered by the insert trim. Structurally I’m not sure if it can be done, there’s a metal lintel under that corse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Connecting liner to insert with little clearance. Connecting liner to insert with little clearance.

Hello everyone. First post, but have been visiting for years. I‘m looking for some advice on a insert I installed last year. I purchased a Fireplace X Large Flush Hybrid about this time last year. I also lined both of my flues, did some crown repair and put on a multi-flu copper cap. When I purchased the insert i knew it was going to be tight but i wanted the largest possible viewing area. The insert went into a old heatilator, so i had to cut out the damper, part of the back wall and a small area next to where the damper was. Once it was in the house and in front of the opening I realized just how tight it was going to be. At this point I am way to committed and this thing was going in no matter what. This is the end result.
View attachment 273551

View attachment 273552

There was less than a quarter inch clearance up top. The second picture is the insert pushed to one side. Even then had only 4-5”. I was able to manipulate the liner, with some help, from up top and get it partly into the insert. I wasn’t able to bolt any of the brackets in but it felt fairly tight all considered.

View attachment 273556

I didn’t feel great about it but I fired it up and it was drafting well. Didn’t have any issues the rest of the year. I noticed a few weeks ago I was getting a little smoke in the house when I opened the insert door and just seemed like it wasn’t drafting well. So yesterday I cleaned the insert out and looked up from inside and found the liner to be loose.

View attachment 273557

I’m not going to run it until i get this issue fixed. I’m kind of at a lose of what to do. My only thought is if i could remove some of the “up right” bricks in that first corse above the insert. I would probably have to cut away more of the heatilator but that would give me plenty of room to work on the connector. Also it would be covered by the insert trim. Structurally I’m not sure if it can be done, there’s a metal lintel under that corse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 273555 View attachment 273553 View attachment 273554
You need a 15degree elbow and one of the connectors that bolt fast inside. I don't like using them but in your case there isn't much option. I think drolet makes one

Here's the adapter I used; it worked great: https://www.efireplacestore.com/sbi-ac02006.html
This is what @bholler is referring to. Keep in mind, using this may make it more difficult to clean your chimney, if you're going bottom-up. But I clean mine top-down so it's not an issue.

You're right about not messing with the lintel...that is integral to the structural integrity of the chimney.

Reactions: bholler
Thanks guys, that’s awesome. I wish I would have known about that when I installed it. So I guess the slight obstruction doesn’t cause any issues? I will have to clean it from the bottom as my chimney cap is fairly large and would not be easy to remove

Thanks guys, that’s awesome. I wish I would have known about that when I installed it. So I guess the slight obstruction doesn’t cause any issues? I will have to clean it from the bottom as my chimney cap is fairly large and would not be easy to remove

I used one of those adapters and haven't had any issues. I only have 12' of chimney, and my insert seems to draft just fine. The adapter was a cinch to install. You should still be able to do a bottom-up sweep, but I remember bholler mentioning that you're more likely to break a rod.

Since you're going to have to pull the insert out to do the install, that would be a great time to install a damper block off plate, if you don't already have one.

Reactions: bholler
I really appreciate it. I ordered that kit and the elbow yesterday. Hopefully we get some decent weather in Ohio so I can drop that in. We will see, might be done for the year. Thanks again.

So in my excitement I overlooked a possible issue. My insert is a hybrid and has a catalytic combustion system. Won’t the rod that tightens the connector to the insert keep me from closing the bypass and engaging the cats?

So in my excitement I overlooked a possible issue. My insert is a hybrid and has a catalytic combustion system. Won’t the rod that tightens the connector to the insert keep me from closing the bypass and engaging the cats?
I doubt it but I don't know your insert that well