Considering lengthening my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradleyW

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2014
Northfield, MA
I have a 16' chimney with two 90 degree turns in my stovepipe and I am considering lengthening the chimney to improve draft. With my current set-up I am usually able to close my primary air about 75% and get a good hot, clean burn with no smoke and little creosote build-up. My wood is pretty dry, averaging 16-22% on a fresh split. I burn 5 to 5.5 cords per year. With a longer chimney I suspect I could both heat the house better and also save wood. I have a few questions:
1. How much longer should the chimney be?
2. How much more efficient can I expect to be (stated another way, how much wood can I expect to save)?
3. About how much will it cost?
Hopefully this is enough info for some of you smart folks to take a stab at it. Thanks!

It sounds like you a setup that is close to working well. Increasing the chimney height should improve shoulder season burning but may not make a large difference for cold weather burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.