Convection blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airstream1980

Feb 26, 2009
Western WA
The convection blower on my 1991 Whitfield WP2 is surging every 20 seconds or so. The stove has been cleaned thoroughly including the blower and I oiled the blower according info I got on line. When I push the start button the blower turns on as normal then within 30 seconds it starts surging (repeatedly slows down then up again) If left on for a few minutes it gets worse and stops altogether. Is it time to replace the dreaded circuit board or could it just be the blower itself? The combustion motor and auger motor are working fine, but I did notice when I turned on the auger switch it caused the convection blower to surge even worse. The stove has a wall thermostat and when I move the thermostat to high it runs longer before it begins to surge maybe 45 seconds.

18 year old stove. WOW. Congrats! Maybe time has finally taken its course. The blower on mine went after 3 years.

I know it's been a very good stove, replaced the auger motor about three years ago, that's been the only problem we've had up until now and she runs 24 hours a day from October through March. Just wanted to know if it sounds like the circuit board or the blower itself that is going bad.

I would have to say that you probably have the original style control board with the red start button and two dials for the feed and blower controls - if that's the case, then it usually is a faulty control board at that point. If you were to test the blower with direct power, separate from the stove, is the only way to know for sure. I have dealt with alot of those and that is a common denominator. Once you know for sure, your only option is to upgrade to the newer style "touch pad" control board , however, a little re-wiring may be needed to be compatible with the new controller. Don't let this sound like a major deal, because it is not hard to handle. If I could "see" your stove and/or had the serial number, I'd steer you in the right direction.

It sounds like the board. You could check rigging the blower up to an extension cord and plugging it in. If it runs fine you will know that it is the board. I hopes it not the board because I believe it is around $500.

"IF" you don`t think the stove warrants an expensive board replacement you do have the option to disconnect the wires from the board to the motor and simply refeed it directly from the 120v supply source. You could install a motor speed control on the new line to the motor.

You can replace the control board, you will need to re-wirer the stove. Newer board will cost 299.00. Rod posted a bunch of note on re-wiring the stove. No need to replace it with the same old style board.

Tested the convection blower it ran fine, found a new upgraded control board at my local dealer $300. Anyone have the steps I need to install the upgraded control into my Whitfield WP2.

Thankyou everyone, picked up the new circuit board on my way home from work, took me less than an hour to install. My house is now back at 70 degrees just in time for a late winter snow storm.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.