Copper pot on stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Can I set a copper tea pot on top of the stove without a trivet (or whatever they are called)? Don't want to leave a mark or anything.

NordicSplitter said:
Is the top cast iron or steel? Depending how hot your stove gets your pot may warp.
Steel top and it apparently gets to 700 on a regular basis! I figure that can't be much hotter than open blue NG flames on my cooking stove, though, right?

Nowhere near as hot as your gas burner. But I'd still put it on a trivet. You will eventually scuff up the surface no matter how gently you put it on and take it off. Besides, the water will not evaporate away as rapidly with the pot sitting up on a trivet.

I found a very nice, very heavy cast iron tea pot at Tractor Supply this week. $15.00. It did a great job the last two nights. You can see the steam coming out but the metal is so thick the water doesn't boil away quickly. After an all night burn the pot is still about half full and that was with stove top temps in the low 400s overnight.

Rather than a trivet, we use soapstone blocks. soapstone blocks

We use two of these to set a pot on. Actually we have several of them because my wife does a lot of cooking on the stove top. In addition, they make great boot driers or glove driers. I also take extra gloves (with soapstone in them and wrapped up) with me to the woods when gathering wood. If my hands get cold or the gloves get wet, I simply change gloves and those warm gloves are very welcome!

If it's a true copper pot you are putting a mighty expensive kitchen piece in a service job which will degrade it in a hurry w/ built up minerals unless you do some serious maintenance and often.

That said, put it on a trivet if you are using it for moisture in the air.

If you goal really is just to heat water for tea or something then you can do it directly on the stove but just be careful, it could boil over a bit and it doesn't take much to get these things rusted.

pen

pen said:
If it's a true copper pot you are putting a mighty expensive kitchen piece in a service job which will degrade it in a hurry w/ built up minerals unless you do some serious maintenance and often.

That said, put it on a trivet if you are using it for moisture in the air.

If you goal really is just to heat water for tea or something then you can do it directly on the stove but just be careful, it could boil over a bit and it doesn't take much to get these things rusted.

pen
I dunno nothing bout whether it's real copper. I know it's not copper on the inside, and I know it looks like the color of a penny on the outside. I also know it cost me three bucks at a yard sale!

I think the wife has some trivets around here. Problem would be finding one that didn't have rubber feet or something.

If it's all metal, often times the rubber feet just pull off. I just wouldn't use one painted up all pretty as its gonna give ya some stink.

pen

Backwoods Savage said:
Rather than a trivet, we use soapstone blocks. soapstone blocks

We use two of these to set a pot on. Actually we have several of them because my wife does a lot of cooking on the stove top. In addition, they make great boot driers or glove driers. I also take extra gloves (with soapstone in them and wrapped up) with me to the woods when gathering wood. If my hands get cold or the gloves get wet, I simply change gloves and those warm gloves are very welcome!

I like your idea of the soapstone a lot! Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.