Copper wall shield installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardley

Burning Hunk
Feb 5, 2009
Cato, NY
image.jpg

Today my wife and I finally got the copper wall shield up that we bought over the summer. We thought we were going to need it, but ended up with double wall pipe and the stove shield, so it's really not necessary, but we had already dropped the cash of a 4x10'sheet of copper, so we put it up anyway!

Looks pretty good IMH

Very stylish!

That is awesome!;)

Love it, nice pad also.

Very nice! I see you have your priorities straight - top notch stove & hearth first, flooring & paint later. Gotta be warm to keep working on everything else, right?

Just curious, since I'll be looking for sheet copper for my mantel shield, what gauge did you go with? Did it come flat or rolled? Online retailer or metal shop? Thx.

That came out really nice.

Very nice! I see you have your priorities straight - top notch stove & hearth first, flooring & paint later. Gotta be warm to keep working on everything else, right?

Just curious, since I'll be looking for sheet copper for my mantel shield, what gauge did you go with? Did it come flat or rolled? Online retailer or metal shop? Thx.

For sure! We worked in the cold on this place for way too long! We ordered from the link below. It's 22 gauge and was a real challenge to get in place. Even though we didn't technically need a heat shield, we still wanted the 1" gap for the depth in appearance. We attached doubled up strips of durock to the wall, and we found some nice flat headed bronze colored bolts at HD that we attached it with. I drilled holes into the studs to accept them. The hardest part was all of the figuring to get it all lined up, but everything came out perfect.

The only thing I'll say about the place we got it is they need to improve their packaging. They were very clear upfront that we needed to inspect the shipment very throughly on arrival. We did and the first one was absolutely destroyed. There wasn't even a skid with it. 2nd time around was better but there were still a couple dings, but we kept it anyway. They only sell the full sheets, so they cut it to the 4x7 I wanted but shipped me the 3x4 piece as well. We're going to use it for the bathroom vanity countertop. It came flat btw.

http://www.circlecitycopperworks.com/custom-copper-sheets.html

That sheet of copper will fund the first year or two of your retirement, if it's not really needed as a heat shield...

Last edited:
That is beautiful! That makes two people in the world with copper heat shields, you and me.

I got some 3 inch copper nails, located the studs, drilled holes in the copper, and nailed the shield to the wall. Got the nails sunk well into the studs, and left a one inch air space.
Put your hand on that copper when the stove is really cranking, you will be amazed. Copper reflects about 99 percent of the heat that strikes it, and the copper will not feel warm to the touch.

That is beautiful! That makes two people in the world with copper heat shields, you and me.

I got some 3 inch copper nails, located the studs, drilled holes in the copper, and nailed the shield to the wall. Got the nails sunk well into the studs, and left a one inch air space.
Put your hand on that copper when the stove is really cranking, you will be amazed. Copper reflects about 99 percent of the heat that strikes it, and the copper will not feel warm to the touch.

Yea I've already noticed that. I had it going pretty good after we finished hanging it. 600F stove top and the copper was stil cool to the touch.

Reactions: BuoyTen
Status
Not open for further replies.