corner install of isle royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what i have done wrong. Recently installed isle royale in a corner. Installation instructions state double wall pipe to be 12" from combustibles, and rear corners of stove to be 6" from combustibles. In my install, double wall pipe is approx 14" from each wall, and stove corners are approx 9" from walls. Yet when I build a small fire, within one hour the walls get so hot i can't hold my hand on them. This doesn't seem right, and I have yet to build a large fire or let the stove burn through the night due to the fact that I think it would burn the house down. I did see another post on this site with pictures of a corner install of the isle royale, looks about identical to mine, but stated clearances are less than mine. What have i missed or what can I do to build a fire and go to sleep without a worry?
Walls are drywall, one side of the corner install is drywall up to 2 ft then wood framed window above that.

See if you can get an IR thermometer & take a reading on the wall temps.
Hot is a relative term. 212 *F will boil water but will not burn the paper on your sheetrock,
but you still wouldn't stick your hand in the boiling water (I hope)...
Remember Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451? That's the temperature at which paper ignites...
Pretty hot.
You're OK if you meet specified clearances. That's what the stove was tested for...

woodchucker2 said:
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what i have done wrong. Recently installed isle royale in a corner. Installation instructions state double wall pipe to be 12" from combustibles, and rear corners of stove to be 6" from combustibles. In my install, double wall pipe is approx 14" from each wall, and stove corners are approx 9" from walls. Yet when I build a small fire, within one hour the walls get so hot i can't hold my hand on them. This doesn't seem right, and I have yet to build a large fire or let the stove burn through the night due to the fact that I think it would burn the house down. I did see another post on this site with pictures of a corner install of the isle royale, looks about identical to mine, but stated clearances are less than mine. What have i missed or what can I do to build a fire and go to sleep without a worry?
Walls are drywall, one side of the corner install is drywall up to 2 ft then wood framed window above that.

Can you post a photo of your set-up?

When we were burning the Castine in a corner install I had similar concerns. Our stove exceeded clearances as did the double-wall pipe, yet there were hot spots on the wall. At least they felt pretty hot after burning all day. So I bought an IR thermometer. What I found was the hottest area was behind and just above the flue collar. Temp recorded was about 153 if I remember right. It was hot, but well within safety limits.

If this turns out to be a serious concern, a ventilated wall-shield can be added behind the stove that will dramatically reduce wall temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.