Corner install vs center of wall install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce P

Aug 10, 2015
Whiting NJ
I have two options on stove installation Walls are 12 foot and 8 foot. If I center stove on the 12 foot wall there would not be enough room on either side for any furniture. I could keep the loveseat currently on the eight foot wall. I would need this option if I decide on a sideloader like the Jotul Oslo? How much wall clearance is required on a corner Oslo install ? If I go for a top loader at around 30" wide like the Explorer 3 or Defiant How much of the 12 foot wall would be left outside the hearthpad ? Thanks

You can look up the manual for the stove to get the clearances.

I moved into my house and the stove was placed in a corner. After living with it for a year I have decided I like a parallel to the wall install better. The corner is more out of the way but there's something I just don't like about it. Can't put my finger on it exactly but it's just my opinion which is worth about 2 cents.

Yeah my old house had a fireplace in the corner, looked good imo. Mostly concerned about wall space as its a small room. BTW its open space (no wall) on the other 12 foot side.

If I center stove on the 12 foot wall there would not be enough room on either side for any furniture.

That would leave you about 3 to 3.5 ft on each side depending on the stove's requirements. A sideloader would certainly require the most clearance at the loading side. A top or frontloader would be easier. Don't forget to also plan some room for wood, tools, etc. Have you looked at the Jotul F50? It is top loading and as a more convective design should have closer clearances than the F500. And before you consider a VC stove I would recommend trying a forum search to get to know the experience of other owners.
I would need this option if I decide on a sideloader like the Jotul Oslo? How much wall clearance is required on a corner Oslo install ?

See the manual page 16 on the top where it says that the side-loading option cannot be used in a corner install. The wall clearances differ a lot depending on pipe, heat shield, wall shield etc. You need to consult the manual: http://jotul.com/us/products/stoves/_attachment/29856?_download=true&_ts=14d90e0dd3a

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.