Cost comparison vs. oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiremanBob

Nov 18, 2007
RI
Tried to search but perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

Last year there was a thread that contained a link to an app that compared the cost per BTU of oil and cord wood if you input the prices. I'm looking at bio bricks because I can't find any seasoned wood in my local area, but at $299/pallet I'm not sure if they are cost-effective compared to the current price of oil.

Can anyone point me to such a calculator?

Thanks.

Thank you, just what I needed. Looks like a marginal decision: wood (bio bricks at $299/ton) might be 10-15% cheaper than oil at $2.60 (price I paid about two weeks ago).

FiremanBob -

Same issue here. I bought BioBricks at $272 a ton last May. It looked like a huge savings potential by mid-summer when oil approached $5.00/gallon.

Now on a Btu-delivered basis it is pretty close to a wash but I think the Bio's may be costing me more than the oil because I have to overheat the living room to adequately heat the back rooms. So instead of my plan of burning 5 or 6 tons of BioBricks and just about no oil I am thinking of using 3 tons of the bricks to save the rest for next year. Add a tank or two of oil and it should take care of this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.