Cost of gasification boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost is a consideration for me and the payback is somewhat secondary but still relevant. You might want to check out the thread on the greenfire furnace that a fellow recently bought for $4400 new. Another option that I am considering is Seton, they offer plans and the owner emailed me that the material cost would be around $2000 plus the plans for $700. Several in the greenfire thread feel that design is simple and could be copied w/o plans. I am not too sure I want to attempt something like that that I don't have too much experience with. Just keep reading through this site there are all kinds of advice and opinions. Just have to decide what works best for your needs, abilities and assests. Guess if I had a million in the bank I would go with a GARN.

Payback period................at the point in time in which we find ourselves you can carefully pencil out your absolute best estimate of future heating costs, then crumple up the paper and throw it away. Who knows?? Some idiot manages to drive a truck bomb into a refinery anywhere in the world and $3.00 / gallon fuel will be the good ol days.

I always advise my clients to look at it this way. If you can get your initial investment back in 5-6 years and have realistic hope that what you bought will last for another 5-6 beyond that, you will have saved enough money to pay cash for the replacement. All other things remaining the same of course. Will fuel prices remain the same? I doubt it. world production of liquids has been stationary to falling since 2005. (oildrum.com) We have already seen wood prices double and triple in the last two years as the wood supply folks around here have slowly figured out that they have a commodity which is in demand. Your wood supplier will figure that out too so you may want to consider something that uses wood a bit more efficiently.

AFA installation costs go, that's a nearly impossible thing to say. We've done installations that cost $1,200 plus the boiler all the way to $20K for just the install items and the labor. I will say this about installing yourself, especially if you go with a forced air system. Take your time and do it right. Air flow is critical to safety as duct temps can get very high very quickly. It's not worth saving a grand on the install only to cause a fire in your house. That has no payback at all.

RobnAridzona said:
Cost is a consideration for me and the payback is somewhat secondary but still relevant. You might want to check out the thread on the greenfire furnace that a fellow recently bought for $4400 new. Another option that I am considering is Seton, they offer plans and the owner emailed me that the material cost would be around $2000 plus the plans for $700. Several in the greenfire thread feel that design is simple and could be copied w/o plans. I am not too sure I want to attempt something like that that I don't have too much experience with. Just keep reading through this site there are all kinds of advice and opinions. Just have to decide what works best for your needs, abilities and assests. Guess if I had a million in the bank I would go with a GARN.

Well I didn't need a million to build mine, only $3500. The Garn units have a proven track record of 20 years+. Only complex parts are the draft inducer motor which can be picked up at a electric motor shop and the 0-6 hr timer, same place. This design is on the same principle as commercial boilers except being non pressure. I also heard that the Greenwood design did not pass the EPA emissions test. And I don't see how the mass refractory design can operate efficiently in warmer weather unless you install a storage tank- then you might as well have bought a Garn.

Wow, I checked out your pictures. You are quite talented. I might try something along the lines of the greenfire or something similar but I will have to do more research. I would like to see that boiler of yours run I bet it really hums.. My hat is off to you sir, hope the reflection from the chrome dome doesn't blind you. I may have more questions later, can't say I have been too put off though that thing is massive and just moving it would be a project.
:coolsmile: Rob

Yes, gasification boilers are nice, more efficient, but I decided to go with a Central, mainly because i do not have a basement to put it in, or room for the buffer tank. And, this setup will pay back quicker....gasification =$$

Status
Not open for further replies.